On July 21, field hockey teams from Skowhegan, Messalonskee, Mt. Blue, Nokomis, Winslow, Dexter, MCI, Lawrence, and Winthrop, in Central Maine, participated in the 8th Annual Battle For Breast Cancer Tournament at Thomas College, in Waterville. Now in its eighth year, more than $163,600 has been raised since 2011 for the beneficiary, the Martha B. Webber Breast Care Center, a program of Franklin Memorial Hospital, in Farmington. Diagnostic breast imaging, biopsies, lab services, surgical consultations, and post-surgical garments are just some of the examples of how the money has been used.
“One hundred percent of the money raised is used to support those with breast cancer living in Central Maine,” said organizer Paula Doughty. “And new this year are platinum through bronze sponsorship opportunities with special recognition in the event’s program and during the opening ceremony.”
This year’s event was another huge success and all of the teams together helped raise $34,126.85, the most yet in a single year.
A breakdown of the last seven years:
2011 – $16,655
2012 – $20,858
2013 – $25,936
2014 – $18,831
2015 – $25,105
2016 – $23,666
2017 – $32,563.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- 2018 Senior Bulldogs girls soccer players
- Lawrence soccer seniors 2018
- Sen. Collins visits Winslow McDonald’s in support of local schools
- 13th Annual Football Camp
- Erskine Academy bus route schedule for 2018-19 school year
- UNH dean’s list for the Spring Semester 2018
- Area U18 girls capture title at international soccer tourney
- Local martial arts students claim title belts
- Waterville hosts regional Cal Ripken tourney
- Palermo School third trimester honor roll 2018