Come one and all to visit with Maine Author, K. F. Griffin, as she talks about her book, Wreck of the Essex, and how children can further develop their writing skills on Monday, March 12, from 10: to 11:30 a.m., at Grace Academy Learning Center, on Route 3, in South China. This is a free event. Call to register 445-8239. Books will be available for sale and signing.
K.F. Griffin was born in Boston and earned a master’s degree from Boston College. In 1981 she read a newspaper article on the discovery of Thomas Nickerson’s eyewitness account of the Essex tragedy. In 1820, a whaling ship was attacked and sunk by an enraged sperm whale. This tragedy inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick.
She has lectured at libraries and historical societies on this incident, considered one of the of greatest sea stories of all time.
She lives on a gentleman’s farm, in Rome, where she enjoys writing children’s books and spending time with her family.
- China Post Office food drive a success
- China for a Lifetime Committee official 2017 survey results
- CHINA: Thurston Park committee to sponsor photo contest
- China filmmaker to present documentary on Kosovo with “A Cup of Sugar” at Railroad Square Cinema
- The Walk To End Hunger 2018 a great success
- Dr. Barnhart speaks at Albert Church Brown Memorial Library
- How local officials are making our schools safe again
- China Democratic Committee observes Earth Day Sunday, April 22, 2018
- Erskine Academy presents Renaissance awards
- Erskine alumni Red Sox trip planned