Hussey’s General Store: The history of a humble country business

Hussey’s General Store founders, Mildred, left, and Harland Hussey, in this photo taken in September 1936. (contributed photo)

by Eric W. Austin
It was the late 1960s and Elwin Hussey was sleeping on the floor of Hussey’s General Store, armed with a shotgun. Frustrated with the lack of progress by police after a spate of recent break-ins, Hussey decided to take matters into his own hands. He began driving home in the evenings and walking back up to the store in an effort to catch the perpetrators in the act.

“I was sleeping right inside the door,” he remembers, “and I had a shotgun.” On the second or third night of this routine, a rattling at the front door woke him from his uncomfortable slumber. The burglars were attempting another break-in.

Backing into the shadows, Hussey watched as two dark figures snapped the door lock and entered the store.

“I saw them come in — one, two,” he says. “It looked to me like they had something tucked into their pants pocket, which I assumed was a gun.”

Only later did Hussey learn that it was not a gun tucked into the perp’s pants but the tire iron they had just used to jimmy the door.

As the burglars headed to the cash register to collect their illicit loot, Hussey slipped silently out of the store. “I didn’t know exactly how to go at it,” he admits. “I ran across the street and pounded on the door and told the people in the house to call the police.”

After waking the neighbors, Hussey sprinted back across the road to save his store from being burglarized. “I had the shotgun in my hand,” he recalls. “I just sat out there and waited until one of them showed up.”

Not knowing exactly what he was dealing with, and thinking he had seen the glint of a firearm tucked into the pants pocket of at least one of the perpetrators, Hussey was understandably tense. When a dark figure exited the store through the broken front door, he raised the shotgun and shouted, “Come out here! Come out!”

The alleged criminal did not comply. “He turned around and started running down the hill,” Hussey says, “so I shot him.”

The birdshot blast caught the looter in the leg and he collapsed in the parking lot. Not long after, the Four Corners, in Windsor, buzzed with activity as half a dozen police cruisers pulled up to the scene.

Elwin Hussey, 98, is pictured outside his home in Windsor. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

“It ended up that night cost me five thousand dollars,” Hussey laments. The police, he says, “let the guy lay there about an hour and a half before they called an ambulance to take him to the hospital.” The wounded wrongdoer later sued Hussey for excessive use of force.

Police searched the premises and discovered the second trespasser hiding upstairs in the bridal department. Firearms were also found in the suspects’ vehicle.

Hussey’s General Store was already a Windsor institution at this point in the 1960s. It had been established in 1923 by Elwin’s father, Harland, the same year that Elwin was born.

At that time, Harland B. Hussey owned a Durant Motors and Star automobile dealership and Texaco pump station in Windsor. There had been an existing business where Hussey’s General Store is now located, called the Dutton Store. Initially operated by H.A.N. Dutton in the early 1900s, it was later sold to Harry Pinkham. The Pinkhams and Husseys were cousins. In 1923, the Dutton Store burned down, and Pinkham decided they would not rebuild. Upon learning this, Harland purchased the lot adjacent to the old store on the north side of Route 105. On this lot was a stable which he converted to serve as a new storefront. As business grew, a 16-foot extension was added in 1940 and an additional 50-foot expansion in 1947.

In 1954, the Hussey family built the new store where the old Dutton Store had stood 31 years earlier before it burned. The old store, which had started out as a stable, was retired to serve as a warehouse and is still standing today.

Elwin Hussey grew up with the store, and started helping his parents at the age of seven or eight. In the early years of the store, says Hussey, there might be only 10 or 12 customers a day, and they were mostly looking for one of two items.

“It seems to me, about every other one would come in with a jug,” Hussey says. “We would guess whether they were after molasses or vinegar. It was always one or the other.”

Grain and fertilizer were also a big part of daily business. The grain arrived at the store packed in 100-pound cloth bags made of muslin, and these bags became a coveted commodity for local ladies who would turn them into dresses. Suppliers soon caught on to their popularity and began to produce the muslin bags in a variety of patterns and colors.

Working at the store wasn’t the only job Elwin Hussey had growing up. He had a paper route, too. “I was about 12,” he recalls. “I would get up Sunday morning, harness the horse and deliver Sunday papers.” He had about 8-10 customers. “The papers sold for 12 cents,” he says with a chuckle. “I made two cents apiece on them.”

After attending Erskine Academy, in South China, Hussey headed to Colby College, in Waterville, where he majored in chemistry and graduated as the school’s youngest ever graduate at the age of 19. “It was war time,” says Hussey. “The reason I graduated at 19 was because of the war.”

In the self-penned essay, Remembrances of 1940, Hussey explains further: “I ended up with two major warnings and two minor warnings that first semester,” he writes. “However, I buckled down and made the dean’s list the following years. By taking extra courses, attending one summer school and getting a three month deferment from the draft, I was able to graduate in three years at the age of nineteen. My graduation in 1943 was the second one at the chapel on the new campus, Mayflower Hill. The first one was in December 1942 for those seniors that attended that summer session. At this time, the only other building there was a women’s dormitory. Colby, when I attended, was on the bank of the Kennebec. All those eight or nine huge buildings of the old campus are gone forever.”

After graduation, Hussey entered military service where he served two and a half years with the U.S. Navy in World War II. There he trained as a radar and radio technician, skills which would serve him well upon returning home.

“Basically, my interest was radios first,” he recalls, “and then [radio company] Philco went into the appliance business about the time TV started out, maybe in 1951?”

For a while Hussey maintained a radio and appliance repair shop in the back of the original store. Later, they did a robust business selling TVs. He remembers the store had a trailer they would haul to the homes of prospective customers. The trailer was a portable antennae that unfolded and could be deployed in a customer’s driveway. This gave customers a chance to try out the new technology before committing to a purchase.

Hussey’s now famous sign that went viral on social media. (Internet photo)

One of the unique features for which Hussey’s General Store is famous across the state of Maine is its formal wear department.
“As we’ve traveled around Maine,” says Elwin Hussey, “more so than anything else, people have said, ‘We bought our wedding dress there.’”

The store began carrying formal wear, in a department dubbed the “Terrace Room,” about the time the new store was completed in 1954. Elwin Hussey’s daughter, Roxanne, who spent more than 25 years working in the store, remembers how it all started.

“This was in the days before specialty shops and malls,” she says. “A lot of women were having difficulty finding gowns and formal wear for many of the events that were planned. I think that’s how it began.”

Speaking of her grandmother, Mildred Hussey, who was involved with the social scene in Augusta, Roxanne recalls, “She started with formal dresses and the bridal [department] got added into that because it’s very similar. There weren’t a lot of places in the state that had nearly the selection that Hussey’s did back in the ‘50s and ‘60s. Ladies would come from all over the state to get gowns.”

For years, Hussey’s General Store has been known far and wide for their broad selection and friendly service. Roxanne says the family’s intent has always been “to keep it a humble country business that had all the things local folks needed.”

When the first shopping center in Augusta was being built, Elwin Hussey recalls his father, Harland, being asked if he was worried about the new competition. “There will always be customers that want to go to one place where they can buy a pound of hamburger and a pound of nails,” he responded.

Contact the author at ericwaustin@gmail.com.

Winslow Public Library re-opening to public April 1, 2021

Winslow Public Library

The Winslow Public Library will reopen to public entry on Thursday, April 1, 2021. Controlled admittance to the library will be allowed on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Curbside pick-up services are provided on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. The library is closed on the weekends.

A capacity limit has been set to five patrons in the building at one time.

Patrons must wear masks to be admitted to the building.

• Anyone entering the library must be wearing CDC approved Face coverings.
  • No bandanas or half-shields and the nose and mouth must be covered by the mask.
  • Masks must keep it on all times while a patron is in the library.
  • Materials must be returned via the drop-box before entering the building.
  • Patrons are limited to 45-minutes in the library to reduce exposure.
  • Public computers are available for 35-minutes per person.

The below COVID health screening questions will be asked before entry is permitted; an answer of “Yes “to any of the questions will result in denial of entry to the building.

Have you exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days?

Have you been exposed to a person exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days?

No entry will be permitted without a CDC approved face covering (bandanas and chin shields are not approved coverings). If the customer does not have a mask one will be provided.

Social distancing measures remain in effect.

All patrons will enter and exit the building using the entrance door on their left. Customers are asked not to allow anyone to enter as they exit, and to make sure the door closes behind them.

For more information, please contact Winslow Public Library at 207-872-1978.

Unity VFD to host bake sale

The Unity Volunteer Fire Department will be hosting a bake sale on Saturday, April 3, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Cone’z on Depot Street, in Unity. This fundraiser will feature homemade pies, cakes, cookies, bars, breads, rolls and dog biscuits. Stop by and pick out your Easter treats.

PHOTOS: Scouts take a hike

Photo by Lee Pettengill

On Saturday, March 20, Scouts from China Troop #479 hiked Beech Hill Preserve, in Rockport, and enjoyed a beautiful sunny day. The hike helped prepare the Scouts for more challenging upcoming hikes. This hike included a visit to the 1913 hut at the top of the hill of the 295-acre conservation property.

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Maritime Energy supports LifeFlight with gasoline and diesel sales

Maritime Energy and Maritime Farms convenience stores are once again supporting LifeFlight through gasoline and diesel sales at their 13 Maritime Farms convenience stores. This program, titled “Pennies for Life,” donates one cent for every gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel sold during the months of April and May.

“LifeFlight receives a request for transport about every four hours, every day of the week. It has probably helped save the life of someone you know as it has provided critical care and transport for over 30,000 patients throughout Maine” says President of Maritime Energy, Susan Ware Page. “Our state needs this essential service, and we want to do what we can to help the organization.”

Here’s just one story of a young man and his need for the service. There are thousands more, and new needs every day.

Thirteen-year-old Adin Grey was riding his new bike near his home in Camden when the chain came off and the bike stopped short, driving the handlebar into his abdomen. He crashed in a heap on the sidewalk, just across the street from the fire department. Several of the firefighters were outside, they rushed over to help and noticed substantial bleeding from Adin’s midsection. They grabbed a first aid kit from the fire truck and used wound dressings to apply pressure while they waited for the ambulance to get there.

Upon arrival at the hospital it was determined that Adin needed to get to specialized care at Maine Medical Center as soon as possible. The LifeFlight helicopter could make the trip in less than 30 minutes and provide the critical care that Adin needed along the way so the call was made for transport. Once safely in Portland, Adin went into a four-hour surgery to fix the damage and stop the bleeding. It was two more days before he stabilized and his doctors and family breathed a sigh of relief. Adin and his family are happy to report that he has made a full recovery and is a thriving honor student at CHRHS. He is also working part time and recently received his driving permit.

Pennies for Life will help LifeFlight purchase a new state-of-the-art helicopter, which will complete an entire fleet upgrade. These new aircrafts are faster, more powerful, have a larger interior workspace, and advanced avionics that will give LifeFlight more options to safely and reliably answer more calls for help. This translates to more patients served, and served more quickly.

Ezhaya Scholarship applications now available

photo: Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce

Joseph B. Ezhaya was a community leader who distinguished himself with his warmth, enthusiasm, generosity and particularly, his friendships. Successful candidates for this scholarship should share Joe’s interest in citizenship, community service and exemplify his spirit and vitality.

Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce is encouraging all eligible students to apply for its Joseph B. Ezhaya Scholarship. This $750 scholarship is awarded annually for all four years to a recipient upon successful completion of his/her first semester of college with a 2.0 GPA or better.

To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria: Must be currently attending a Mid-Maine Chamber area high school: Lawrence, Winslow, Mt. View, Waterville, Messalonskee, MCI, Erskine Academy, Temple Academy, or MeANS School; Must maintain an academic average of a “C” or better; Must complete a required short essay on citizenship; Must show evidence of community service and involvement; Must be enrolled in an accredited New England College or University.

Please visit http://www.midmainechamber.com/cms/joseph-b-ezhaya-memorial-scholarship for more information or call the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce at 207-873-3315.

Submissions may be sent via email to patricia@midmainechamber.com or mailed to Ezhaya Memorial Scholarship Applications, Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, 50 Elm St., Waterville, ME 04901.

All applications must be received by 5 p.m. on April 28, 2021.

Mainers have more help available to pay monthly health insurance bills

Submitted by
Consumers for Affordable Health Care
Contact: Helen Roy, China, Maine, 207-480-2137, Certified Application Counselor

Mainers have more health coverage options than ever. Free help is available to anyone who needs assistance understanding their options. Sorting through those options can be challenging, even for the most sophisticated consumer. The American Recovery Plan has made available more help paying monthly premiums for many people who buy private Marketplace insurance through HealthCare.gov. Many others who did not qualify for help in the past may also now be eligible for premium assistance.

People who are uninsured or worried about being able to pay for their coverage should act quickly. Starting April 1, people who already have Marketplace coverage can update their application to take advantage of the new premium assistance. This current Special Enrollment Period with the Marketplace, where people can enroll in coverage, receive additional premium assistance, and change plans ends on May 15.

There is additional help with premiums for those who are unemployed; they may be eligible for coverage with a $0 premium. Those with COBRA coverage can get help paying for that coverage for a limited time. People with income that was too high in the past can now get premium assistance. Full coverage through MaineCare remains available for those with limited income. You can learn more about MaineCare and how to apply at CoverMe.gov.

Maine’s Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) toll free Help Line provides free assistance to people who need help understanding coverage options and applying for and enrolling in coverage. The CAP was designated by Maine’s Attorney General and the Bureau of Insurance in 2010. Certified Application Counselors provide free, unbiased information about private individual Marketplace insurance and public coverage programs, including MaineCare.

Anyone who is uninsured, worried about losing their health coverage or concerned about not being able to afford health insurance are encouraged to call the CAP Help Line at Consumers for Affordable Health Care (CAHC) toll free at 1-800-965-7476. CAHC is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization located in Augusta with the mission to improve access to affordable quality health care for all people living in Maine.

Don’t delay – Now is the time to look into changes that are making it easier for Maine people to afford the coverage they need. Visit HealthCare.gov to update your plan to receive the extra assistance or to enroll in coverage or call the Consumer Assistance Help Line at 1-800-965-7476 for help.

Noah Lambert, of Fairfield, wins the 2021 Virtual Slam Dunk Contest

Noah Lambert, 16, from Fairfield (photo by Central Maine Photography)

by Mark Huard

Noah Lambert, 16, from Fairfield, is 6-feet, one-inch tall and was one of eight chosen in the Big Time Hoops Maine Dunking Competition.

He works out and practices two to four hours a day or more.

With post season all-star games and festivities being canceled last year into this year, Fort Kent Native Tom Bard wanted to try and put something together for the kids that allowed them to showcase their skills. With everything being virtual over the last year he came up with the idea of doing a virtual 3-Point & Dunk Contest.

Tom had posted a couple questions through social media asking those who follow the page as to who should be invited and send out the the invites based on that input. The kids selected recorded their dunks at their home gyms and sent them back once completed.

Once I had everyone’s videos, I edited and and packaged it as the Big Time Hoops 3-Point Shootout and Dunk Contests and put it up on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vp2U-wdE8M&t=2634s).

Fans voted on who they thought won the Dunk Contest, and Noah Lambert, of Lawrence High School, in Fairfield, was crowned champion. Lambert has been playing basketball now for nine years!

Easter is not about bunnies and eggs

by Gary Kennedy

For all of you who are convinced that the holiday, “Easter,” has something to do with the Cadbury Bunny and her ability to lay chocolate cream filled eggs, I have become compelled after many hours of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude to research and confront this obvious hyperbole. I love chocolate covered Easter eggs, but two issues have risen to the degree of conflict. I took them to bed with me a couple of nights ago and thrashed them out in my dreams. I ended up with chocolate on my face but that rabbit didn’t lay a single chocolate covered, cream filled egg.

Because of the intensity of this traumatic conflict I was left with the burning desire to eat chocolate, cream filled eggs irrespective of their source. I am so weak. The other issue that I was left with was the definition of the real Easter, which had no bunny nor any humor. Bunnies are symbolic of spring and fertility as believed in days of old. However, they have nothing to do with Easter and its true meaning.

Easter which is also called Pascha (Latin, Greek, Aramaic), or the day of resurrection, is a precious time which is set aside to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus. This Easter will be observed on April 4. Easter is a Christian holiday, which the faithful celebrate reverently.

Unfortunately, it has become like a fairy tale over the years and so much of the dedicated observance has been abandoned. Even so, there are many of us that will attend church to be with others who feel compelled to give love and respect to the one we believe gave his everything to save us from ourselves. We are in times currently where that becomes so very important for our well being and for the training of our children.

The Passion of the Cross causes many of us to weep. A beautiful, perfect man suffered the pain and agony in the name of redemption. He loved his creations so much that he needed a sacrifice to redeem us from ourselves. We don’t know why it had to be that way with the pain and suffering of being nailed to a cross and hung in the hot, burning sun to die. One day we’ll perhaps understand the why of it all. For now we just have to accept what he did as a sinless man to save us all. Such is the thinking of a Christian.

There are others who see this story differently but that is up to them. What is the downside of this? The way I see it, if there was no salvation at the end of life, what did it cost you? You lived with some doubt but followed the doctrine. In other words you just always tried to do the right thing and prayed for forgiveness when you failed. Isn’t that a nice way to live, my friends? You have lost nothing and hurt no one. You just lived as you should have anyway.

The 10 Commandments is a heck of a great place to draw from. Love your neighbor as yourself. You would be amazed at the reciprocation. Most people react to sensitivity and kindness. This week my wife and I gave a few dollars to pan handlers. Each and everyone responded with “God Bless You.” Did they speak with sincerity? Perhaps we will never know but we felt good. If one blessed thank you was real, I’m a blessed guy. It sure makes my day.

So, yes there will be Easter egg hunts and other games surrounding Easter and I don’t think our creator has anything against that. Your families will be together which includes many children and grandchildren and, of course, love will be in the air. If your church is open, share the love with those who attend with you.

Easter received its name from the English goddess, Eostre who was celebrated at the beginning of spring. The one source for this information came from the writings of a British Monk named Bede, who lived in the late 7th century. The crucifixion and resurrection of Christ played no role in this. However, I suppose Easter is as good as any other name without just using the explanation of the event of the gift of salvation. The place where Jesus sacrificed his life was known as Golgotha or Calvary.

I hope my little narration of very minimal proportion opens your mind and heart to the true meaning of what we know as Easter. The entire story is both a work of tragedy and beauty. I suggest we all make it part of our lives if only for its moral value. I’m sure when you read the “greatest story ever told” you will realize much more than my fetish with Easter eggs. Also, don’t feel guilty when you pass by the beggar on the street. After all he “might not” be who he is claiming to be; or is he? As for me, I don’t like taking chances. Also, our country is in trouble currently so when you take a knee, pray for all of us who have lost our way. God knows we need it.

Have a great and safe Easter.

God be with you and yours, and God bless and guide America.

Colby professor says China Lake has moderate amounts of nutrients

China Lake (photo by Eric Austin)

by Mary Grow

Colby College Professor Denise A. Bruesewitz, Ph.D., gave China Planning Board members “more than a little bit of food for thought,” Chairman Randall Downer remarked after her presentation at the board’s March 23 meeting.

Bruesewitz is a limnologist (the word means an expert on scientific aspects of inland waters) who has studied lakes in New Zealand and various parts of the United States. She is currently engaged in a National Science Foundation water quality project that uses robotics and computer modeling to study algae in lakes in Maine, including China Lake, and in other states.

Bruesewitz said China Lake is classified as mesotrophic, meaning it has a moderate amount of nutrients in the water. (A eutrophic lake has so many nutrients that algae blooms are common; an oligotrophic lake has few nutrients and therefore is unlikely to have algae blooms.)

Older surveys of China Lake have involved taking water samples from a boat and analyzing them. Bruesewitz said the current study uses drones that collect data and learn to recognize hot spots. There are plans to create diving robots.

Downer invited Bruesewitz to help board members develop standards for shoreland erosion barriers. She said she and her colleagues are not familiar with the type of solid vertical barrier that caused the planning board discussion, but in principle such barriers are not a good idea.

The zone where water and land meet, an area that is alternately wet and dry, is ecologically important, she said. Technically named the reference line, it is home to microbes that eat nutrients and is therefore critical to protecting water quality.

The shallow water on the lake edge of the zone houses life forms that are part of the lake’s food web, so it, too, should be protected from man-made disturbance, Bruesewitz said.

Downer asked how to quantify effects of a solid barrier. Bruesewitz replied it would not be easy. She suggested three possible methods: measure on-land nutrient uptake over the seasons and in different conditions; or look for relevant studies from comparable water bodies; or begin a citizen-science monitoring and sampling program.

Bruesewitz shared several documents with planning board members, including New Hampshire’s 2019 Shoreland Water Quality Protection Act that several members considered worth studying.

Replying to questions from board member Scott Rollins, Bruesewitz said China Lake’s biggest threats are the phosphorus that is already in the lake, plus on-land factors, like roofs, paved areas and other impervious surfaces and lack of buffers, that add more unwanted nutrients. Remedies, she said, include providing vegetated buffers that control run-off without separating land and water, and minimizing soil disturbance in the watershed.

She told the board she will be able to share results of the National Science Foundation project with them and with the Kennebec Water District, which uses China Lake’s west basin as its water source.

In other business March 23, Codes Officer Jaime Hanson’s report to the board included the comment that China is experiencing “a definite uptick in construction,” based on permit applications for new houses and other construction.

Board members continued review of the draft solar ordinance that, if approved by voters, will give them standards for reviewing applications for solar installations, both individual and commercial. The ordinance is not on the warrant for the June 8 town business meeting.

All solar installations require permits. Hanson bases his reviews on the six-year-old International Residential Code, and planning board members have been adapting standards for new structures to cover rows of solar panels.

The next China Planning Board meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 13.