by Cailee Elsasser, 8th grade, China Middle School, JMG Council Officer
How are we helping people recover from Hurricane Harvey? When we realized there was a China, Texas, which unfortunately was in the path of the storm, we felt it was a natural connection to help. The China Middle School JMG organized a spare change drive to help support the students and teachers in China, Texas, as their middle school was destroyed by the flooding. The China Middle and Primary schools stepped up big time, collecting over $500 in change and monetary donations.
A combination of concession proceeds and staff jeans day money was also contributed. And then on the final day of change collection Calvin Mason, an eighth grader in JMG, was sorting and counting box tops. He proposed adding the $150 in box tops that his group had just processed to the change drive. Principal Ms. Bowden graciously accepted the proposal, which brought the grand total to $900. We always want to get involved with community projects whenever we can, whether that’s China, Texas, or China, Maine. We look forward to hearing more inspiring stories in our district and communities!
- China Village VFD chosen as Hannaford Case Bag program beneficiary
- Girl Scouts give back for Thanksgiving
- Meeting to be held on proposed Ladd Dam and Box Mill fishways
- China police log for September 2017
- China Town employees get a new health plan
- Eagle Scout project in South China
- Local businesses team up to help veterans in need
- Erskine Academy to Host Trunk or Treat
- Tisdale thanked for service
- Erskine Academy inducts 22 Leo Club members