by Brett Sachs, DPM, FACFAS
Foot & Ankle Surgeon practicing in Denver, CO
Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
(NAPSI)—One in five Americans suffers from bunions. A bunion, or hallux valgus, starts out as redness and a bump on the side of the foot near the big toe. Over time, bunions can cause chronic pain and restrict movement.
Bunions are progressive and don’t go away on their own, so it’s important for people with bunions to see a foot and ankle surgeon who will evaluate the severity of the deformity and develop a treatment plan. Nonsurgical treatments may reduce the chance of damage to the joint and ease the pain of bunions. However, these treatments will not reverse the deformity itself. If the pain begins interfering with normal daily activities, surgical intervention will typically be the next step.
Until recently, the procedure had been very painful and the recovery difficult. However, foot and ankle surgeons have made several advancements in surgical techniques and patients return to normal activities sooner. Recovery typically takes four to six weeks.
Foot and ankle surgeons implement pain management techniques following bunion surgery, including using nerve blocks, postsurgical pain pumps, and vitamin C and calcium supplements. These let patients recover fully with minimal pain.
For more information or to find a foot and ankle surgeon nearby, visit www.FootHealthFacts.org, the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons’ patient education website.
Brett Sachs, DPM, FACFAS is a board-certified foot and ankle surgeon and Fellow Member of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Benefits Of CBD Products
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Pressure ulcers costs healthcare billions each year
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Floods Can Affect Your Well Water’s Well-Being
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Health Services And Screenings Every Woman Should Know About
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Health Benefits Of Plant-Based Nutrition
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Talking With Your Health Care Provider About Kidney Health
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Major Changes Headed To A Product Label Near You
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: What You Need To Know About Heart Valve Disease
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Small Changes Can Mean Big Differences In Blood Pressure Control
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Can You Afford an Unexpected Hospital Bill? Preparing Your Family for Unforeseen Costs