(NAPSI)—Chances are, at some point you will be a caregiver to a friend or family member. Providing care and support can be challenging in any circumstance, but caring for a loved one who lives far away presents a unique set of challenges.
When providing care for loved ones who do not live nearby, keep the following three tips in mind.
Plan ahead. Learn your loved one’s medical wishes, contact information for doctors as well as important financial and insurance information.
Research community options. Many older adults need a little help to stay healthy and independent. Area Agencies on Aging and other community-based organizations can connect caregivers to programs that help with transportation, personal care services, nutrition, home modification and repairs, legal services, falls prevention programs and more.
Care for yourself. The Eldercare Locator can connect caregivers to local resources that can help, including caregiver support programs that can provide training, and support groups and other resources that help caregivers better support their loved ones—and themselves.
The Eldercare Locator can help both care recipients and their long-distance caregivers. Through its website, www.eldercare.acl.gov, and national Call Center at (800) 677-1116, the Eldercare Locator connects long-distance caregivers to resources that can provide assistance where it is needed most—in the care recipient’s own community. The Eldercare Locator is funded by the U.S. Administration for Community Living and is administered by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Health Benefits Of Plant-Based Nutrition
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Talking With Your Health Care Provider About Kidney Health
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Major Changes Headed To A Product Label Near You
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: What You Need To Know About Heart Valve Disease
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Small Changes Can Mean Big Differences In Blood Pressure Control
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Can You Afford an Unexpected Hospital Bill? Preparing Your Family for Unforeseen Costs
- Debunking the myths about donating bone marrow
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Do I Need Bunion Surgery?
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Age Healthier With These Five Tips
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: New Brain Health Initiative Could Unlock Mysteries Of Alzheimer’s, Dementia