Submitted by Rachel Whitney, FOM Program Director
The milfoil harvest season is now underway in various parts of the lake. The Friends of Messalonskee (FOM) report that these areas are under control since they first began operations in 2012. They were awarded by Maine Community Foundation’s Fund for Maine Land Conservation to purchase and deploy burlap benthic barriers over areas affecting the Messalonskee Marsh and two coves in the lake.
They are now based out of Snow Pond Center for the Arts (SPCA), also known as the New England Music Camp, where FOM will be co-hosting some events and learning opportunities for the public and the new charter school.
Summer events include:
- July 5-6: Ice Cream Social (on the water!). Swing on your boat to our float from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. in front of the Music Camp for cold ice cream and beverages.
- July 17: “All Belgrade Lakes” Fishing Derby. Register easily on their website or pick up a form at the Oakland, Sidney, or Belgrade town offices. $2,500 regular cash prizes plus a $500 Grand Slam prize.
- July 17: Maine Appreciation Day & Concert – 3 p.m., at SPCA. They will be selling FOM merchandise.
- July 22: Volunteer Day at their new office to fold informa-tional flyers to pass out on the Dock Hop day. 10 a.m. – noon, at SPCA.
- July 23: Oakfest! FOM will have a booth selling merchandise and providing information. In the children’s section, divers will assist the kids in making actual loon nests that we will deploy next spring.
- July 24: Dock Hop. Please join them by hopping on one of the boats and going dock-to dock informing lake home owners of programs and activities.
- July 30: Annual Meet-and-Greet at SPCA where all are wel-come to meet lake neighbors and to learn about FOM efforts on the water. Special speaker this year is Maggie Shannon, of Maine Lakes Society. 4:30 p.m. meeting time, followed by a BBQ at 5:30 p.m., then the Al Corey band at 7:30 p.m.
- August 4: Invasive Plant Patrol Workshop. Kayak/ Canoe coves of Messalonskee Lake to ID native and invasive plants!Learn how to be a responder! Some kayaks available, please RSVP.
For more information about the Friends of Messalonskee or any of their events and programs, please visit their website at www.friendsofmessalonskee.com. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of our precious water system and the education of its users.
- RSU #18 2018 budget hearing scheduled
- Local students compete at robotics tournament
- How local officials are making our schools safe again
- The many roles of RSU #18’s SROs
- Veterans honored at Messalonskee High School
- China voters to decide RSU #18 bond issue
- OAKLAND: Statewide fishing derby planned to fight Variable Leaf Milfoil
- Financial Fitness Fair held at Messalonskee High School: New Dimensions FCU hosts mission to provide financial education
- Students hold Saluting Our Veterans day at Messalonskee Middle School
- Golf Fore Kids’ Sake nets $31,000 for BBBS