Sisters Josette and Lydia Gilman were each recipients of $250 in talent scholarship money from the Alfond Youth Center (AYC). For the past three years, the AYC in Waterville has been hosting its talent show at the Page Commons on the Colby College campus. Each year, the AYC solicits talented youth from the Kennebec County/ greater Waterville area to compete for 10 slots available as part of its ‘Annual Appeal’ (Dinner and Talent Show). Scholarship money can be used by the awardees to further their performing talents.
Lydia, a second-time scholarship award recipient, is a high-honors student at Erskine Academy, in South China, and will be a junior this year. She enjoys singing, playing the piano and dance.
For the 2018 competition, Lydia was joined by her younger sister, Josette. Josette, an honor student from China Middle School, enjoys singing and art. Josette will be a freshmen next year and attending Erskine Academy with her sister. The two performed “Royals” by Lord as a singing duet.
Lydia and Josette Gilman are the daughters of Lance and April Gilman, of China, and the granddaughters of Judi Gilman, also of China.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Invasive plant patrol workshop on China Lake
- China throws retirement party for town manager
- LakeSmart on China Lake now ready for inspections
- Public invited to China Town Manager’s retirement party
- Several day camps to be offered at China School Forest this summer
- China Post Office food drive a success
- China for a Lifetime Committee official 2017 survey results
- CHINA: Thurston Park committee to sponsor photo contest
- China filmmaker to present documentary on Kosovo with “A Cup of Sugar” at Railroad Square Cinema
- The Walk To End Hunger 2018 a great success