“A trip around China Lake Sunday evening, April 16, indicated large areas of floating ice in the middle and north end of the lake on the China side and in the Vassalboro basin.
Monday morning, with the lake flat calm, the sun was reflecting from the open water, a very pretty sight.
There was some ice in the coves in the Vassalboro basin and a little ice south of the narrows on the China side, but the lake was virtually clear of ice at that time.
It is the decision of the judge that ice out for 2017 occurred on China Lake on Monday, April 17.”
The judge’s decision is final.
For his accurate guess of April 17, Jason Fleming, of China, is this year’s winner of The Town Line’s ice out contest.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Groundbreaking for new South China Library
- CHINA: Central Church to open in May in old Fairpoint building
- Bicentennial committee gears up for China’s 200th birthday
- CHINA NEWS: China Community Days set to be the best yet
- Local scout troop conducts food drive
- CHINA NEWS: TIF group asks who will supervise expenditures
- Medical marijuana business reschedule; applicant absent
- June 2019 local election results (China, Vassalboro, Fairfield, Benton)
- Second Saturdays Litter Clean-Up begins July 13
- China’s Lydia Gilman takes home a Young Stars of Maine award