“A trip around China Lake Sunday evening, April 16, indicated large areas of floating ice in the middle and north end of the lake on the China side and in the Vassalboro basin.
Monday morning, with the lake flat calm, the sun was reflecting from the open water, a very pretty sight.
There was some ice in the coves in the Vassalboro basin and a little ice south of the narrows on the China side, but the lake was virtually clear of ice at that time.
It is the decision of the judge that ice out for 2017 occurred on China Lake on Monday, April 17.”
The judge’s decision is final.
For his accurate guess of April 17, Jason Fleming, of China, is this year’s winner of The Town Line’s ice out contest.
- Local scout troop conducts food drive
- Bicentennial committee gears up for China’s 200th birthday
- CHINA NEWS: China Community Days set to be the best yet
- CHINA NEWS: Two local questions on China ballot in June
- CHINA NEWS: TIF group asks who will supervise expenditures
- CHINA: Planners revert to old method for reviewing conditional use applications
- Glowa announces run for state Senate seat
- China selectmen hold annual vision session: take no action
- Fire departments dominate China selectmen’s meeting
- China Village VFD chosen as Hannaford Case Bag program beneficiary