Jeanne Marquis and her 94-year-old father, Carl John Stenholm, were recipients of the LakeSmart Award for their lake property on Fire Road 1, on China Lake. Marquis says their Maine property has been in their family since the late 1800s when her great-grandfather, John Benson Doe, returned from sheep ranching out west to purchase their red brick home on the Neck Road. China Lake continued to call this family back home for three generations just as it did for John Doe, even if it was just for the summers. Two years ago, Marquis and her father made a permanent move to their China Lake home as their year-round residence.
Marquis told us, “I am very grateful for the work the LakeSmart Program and the China Lake Association does to improve the quality of the lake and monitor the loon population. It’s encouraging to see the loons and the eagles return to this area for the generations ahead of us to enjoy.”
If you would like to schedule a LakeSmart visit please contact Marie Michaud at 207-242-0240 or by email at ChinaLakeSmart@gmail.com. The visit only takes around an hour. We will share lake friendly ideas for your property. We can offer Youth Conservation assistance to get any suggested lake-friendly ideas completed, too. Together we can help protect China lake for now and for the future.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Monroes awarded LakeSmart status
- LAKESMART: Geoff and Patricia Hargadon
- Bar Harbor Bank & Trust kicks off second annual Holiday Toy Drive
- Knights of Columbus change the colors at Bar Harbor Bank and Trust
- China Food Pantry thanks community
- Proclamation for David Herard Day in China
- Roxanne Malley inducted as Lion
- Induction ceremony held for Erskine Leos
- Buy an extra turkey for the China Food Pantry
- Erskine Leos raise money for Camp Sunshine