Is the Legislature serious?
To the editor:
Is the the Legislature seriously considering imposing property tax on nonprofits, educational institutions, and hospitals? How about churches? What part of “tax-exempt” don’t they understand?
All of the above organizations and institutions provide services to the people of the community, which are beyond the scope of governmental responsibility, but which are still necessary. Nonprofits also allow people and businesses with taxable assets to invest in our communities without penalty, or without the risk of the stock market. Besides, the federal government has delineated which organizations and institutions are tax-exempt, and it’s not up to the state to change that.
- Letters to the Editor: Are we on a path to national suicide?
- COMMUNITY CHATTER: Looking for ceramic ram
- Community Chatter: Recommends handyman
- Community Chatter: Watch the cashiers/baggers
- Letters to the editor, Week of February 8, 2018
- Letters to the editor, Week of February 1, 2018
- Letters to the editor, Week of January 18, 2018
- Letters to the Editor, Week of January 11, 2018
- Letters to the Editor, Week of November 2, 2017
- Letters to the Editor, Week of October 26, 2017