Boy Scout Troop #479, of China, did some good this past Good Friday and collected food and donations to support the local China Food Pantry.
Led by Scoutmaster Scott Adams, with committee member Priscilla Adams, Assistant Scoutmasters Matt and Madison Bodine, and scouts Nick Shelton, Tucker Leonard and Misha Littlefield, the team prepared ahead of time by creating a fundraising flyer and posting a notice for volunteers on the troop’s Facebook page. Then early Friday morning the good Samaritans set out on their mission of Easter love.
They worked tirelessly all day Friday and most of Saturday, collecting over $580 in food and $451 in cash donations!
“It was very rewarding to support the China community in this way,” said Madison Bodine, “and it was nice to reconnect with Mrs. Austin, my former kindergarten teacher.”
Ann Austin, who has run the food pantry for more than 25 years with her late husband, Lee, was blown away by the generosity.
“Such a pleasant surprise!” she said. “There’s a lot of need this time of year for something most of us take for granted. Madison and his scout troop have changed a lot of lives this Easter season!”
The China Community Food Pantry is located at 1320 Lakeview Drive in China Village, and is open Friday and Saturday, noon – 1 p.m. For more information, or to donate, please call 968-2421, or email Ann Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ice Out on China Lake
- Bicentennial committee gears up for China’s 200th birthday
- CHINA NEWS: China Community Days set to be the best yet
- CHINA NEWS: Two local questions on China ballot in June
- CHINA NEWS: TIF group asks who will supervise expenditures
- CHINA: Central Church to open in May in old Fairpoint building
- Vassalboro Selectmen plan ahead; set holiday schedule, and town meeting date for June 4
- China Board to review Varney application, hold public hearing
- China TIF committee agrees on two motions
- CHINA: Committee recommends new forklift, pre-crusher compactor for transfer station