Nomination papers to fill the vacant selectboard seat in China, that was created with the resignation of selectman Jeff LaVerdiere, will be available on Monday, November 25, 2019, at the China Town Office. According to Town Manager Dennis Heath, “the selectboard will decide at their meeting that evening if the special election will be March 3, 2020, or an earlier date.” By making the nomination papers available on Monday, “we accommodate either scenario,” Heath added.
The selectboard seat became vacant when LaVerdiere abruptly walked out of a selectboard meeting on October 15, and announced his resignation (The Town Line, October 24, 2019). His formal resignation was accepted by the board by a 3-1 margin, with retiring board chairman Bob MacFarland the only desenting vote (The Town Line, October 31, 2019).
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Maine politics: A conversation with five local legislators
- China selectmen get updates from town departments
- China planners to consider three commercial projects
- China selectmen reach firefighters’ stipend decision – for this year
- CHINA: Breton elected new selectboard chairman
- CHINA: Privacy becomes issue at RFID public hearing
- China TIF members get prelim preview of causeway project
- Electronic tags to replace stickers at China transfer station
- CHINA: Chadwick, Belanger win selectboard seats
- Town manager explains town’s position on stipends in e-mail to fire chiefs