Remington RLP-199-15, mono LP, recorded in 1950.
Remington records was started in 1950 and stayed in business until 1957. The records themselves often had noisy surfaces; they also had very beautiful and colorful album covers, which makes them often collectible and also very expensive on different Internet sites. Finally, they had a catalog featuring both standard and unusual repertoire, artists familiar to classical record connoisseurs, and its share of pseudonyms or phony names.
The opera excerpts are beautifully sung, so many of the melodies – examples such as the Toreador Song, Habanera, etc. – appearing in everything from TV shows to ads. The names of the singers and conductor are unfortunately nowhere to be found, even on the Sound Fountain website, which otherwise contains so much fascinating info on the label and lots of photos of its album covers, including this release. Just type in the following on Google: Remington records, Jean Allain – Bizet Carmen and/or soundfountain.com, which is listed under Remington records on the Google site!
Musically, every Remington record on my shelves has something interesting, despite its faults otherwise.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas at the Brooklyn Tabernacle
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas Eve with Burl Ives & G.K Chesterton
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Tchaikovsky; Band: Depeche Mode
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Novelist: Jim Thompson
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Musician: Louis Armstrong; Composer: Berlioz
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Bartok; Musician: Sidney Bechet; Comedians: Jonathan Winters & Dean Martin
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Novelist: John MacDonald; Music: Mozart
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Music: Classical Journey; Film: The Loved One
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – TV: NCIS; Conductor: Andre Cluytens; Film: Dark Eyes; Music: Liszt
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Singer: Laura Nyro; Director: Yannick Nezet-Seguin