Farther Down the Road, Volume 2
CBS Special Products, cassette, recorded 1972-1985.
The above was one of a cassette/CD series under the same title of more than 60 volumes, sponsored by Rotella, a line of lubricating products for the heavy duty engines inside extremely large trucks. As with the entire series, this week’s second volume was an anthology of country/western recordings, distributed only through gas stations and truck stops and given to any customer purchasing a minimum of three gallons of the Rotella lubricating oil. Its selections were:
Johnny Cash – One Piece at a Time
Janie Fricke – He’s a Headache
The Gatlin Brothers – Houston
Barbara Mandrell – Midnight Oil
Charlie Daniels Band – Devil Went Down to Georgia
Willie Nelson – Midnight Rider
Tammy Wynette – Another Chance
Ronnie McDowell – Watchin’ Girls Go By
Charly McClain – Men
Merle Haggard – Are the Good Times Really Over ?
My favorites are those by Cash, Nelson and Wynette, the anthology itself being a good one.
A quote from Graham Greene’s essay on Saki, but referring to the novelist who wrote Tale of Two Cities and other such books – “Dickens developed a style so easy and natural that it seems capable of including the whole human race in its understanding.”
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: The Desert Song
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: The hiker, Peace Pilgrim
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Mozart: Violin Concertos 1-5
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: The Man Who Came to Dinner
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Sir John Barbirolli conducting the Halle Orchestra
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Paragraphs from E.B. White
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Tchaikovsky
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Bucharest, Romania, Radio Hall
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Mother’s Day from Elijah Parish Lovejoy