Smile, Columbia AL 33912 LP ,1975.
The late Laura Nyro was one very gifted singer, songwriter and pianist. A number of songs, Stoney End, Stoned Soul Picnic, Wedding Bell Blues, etc. have been covered by such artists as Barbra Streisand and the Fifth Dimension.
The 1975 Smile is a sterling example of the searing beauty and power of her on-going themes – life in the Bronx. Sexy Mama, Children of the Junks, Money, I am the Blues, Stormy Love, The Cat-song, Midnite Blues, and the title song mirror the drug addictions, needs to survive, and the moments of joy and love that preoccupy and sustain us. An album highly recommended.
The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra Collection
Deutsche Grammophon 4835345, 6 CDs, live concerts 2008-2018.
Presently the music director of the Metropolitan Opera and other orchestras, Yannick Nezet-Seguin conducts the Rotterdam Philharmonic in works by Beethoven, Shostakovich, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner etc. The performances are good, especially the Bruckner 8th Symphony, and would fit the needs of anyone wanting a set of choice basic repertoire.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – E.B. White: The Elements of Style
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Observing 60th anniversary of the “Day the Music Died”
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: A collection of great classical recordings
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Anton Eberl; Broadway: Company
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Farther Down the Road series contains over 60 volumes
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Bach selections
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – The Odd Couple
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas Albums
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Berlioz; Xmas quote from Borge; Band: Abba
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas at the Brooklyn Tabernacle