Sings the Mancini Songbook
Mercury, 61009, stereo LP, recorded 1965.
This very fine album, a bringing together of one of the finest singers and composers in American music history, was a collaboration that never got the attention it truly deserved. Singer Sarah Vaughan (1924-1990) brought thorough professionalism, exquisite taste, and vibrant heart and soul to her vocal art; if she made a bad record, I don’t know of it. Her early jazz sides during the mid-forties, some Columbia singles with arranger Percy Faith released after 1950, the mid-’50s Roulette LPs and ten years of Mercury vinyl beginning in 1957 that had duets with Billy Eckstine, and other entries too numerous to mention add up to a priceless legacy. After 1980, two personal favorites were the South Pacific CBS CD with Kiri Te Kanawa and Mandy Patinkin and the extraordinary Mystery of Man, a song cycle recorded in Germany and based on the poetry of a young man who later became Pope John Paul II.
Henry Mancini produced a large, largely superb body of work noted for its own special beauties – soundtracks for Peter Gunn, Mr. Lucky, the Pink Panther, Romeo and Juliet, Charades, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, etc. forever; jazz and mood music arrangements; and the songs – Moon River, Dear Heart, Days of Wine and Roses, just three of the dozen songs on this week’s album, one most highly recommended.
Several selections can be heard on YouTube!
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas at the Brooklyn Tabernacle
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Christmas Eve with Burl Ives & G.K Chesterton
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Tchaikovsky; Band: Depeche Mode
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Novelist: Jim Thompson
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Musician: Louis Armstrong; Composer: Berlioz
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Bartok; Musician: Sidney Bechet; Comedians: Jonathan Winters & Dean Martin
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Novelist: John MacDonald; Music: Mozart
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Music: Classical Journey; Film: The Loved One
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – TV: NCIS; Conductor: Andre Cluytens; Film: Dark Eyes; Music: Liszt
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Singer: Laura Nyro; Director: Yannick Nezet-Seguin