Yellow Rolls Royce/Umbrellas of Cherbourg Excerpts
Cinema Sound Stage Orchestra, Somerset records, LP, 1965.
The 1964 films, Yellow Rolls Royce/Umbrellas of Cherbourg generated original musical sound tracks. The above release had no connection with the originals. The Cinema players were hired by D.L.Miller, a fascinating businessman worthy of a biography while the group consisted of Hamburg Philharmonic musicians.
Miller created Somerset because of the huge demand and success of of other labels’ low priced LPs. He then scouted for talent among a variety of superb musicians – conductors Sir Adrian Boult, Horst Stein, Hugo Rignold, singing group the Ray Charles Singers etc. His arguably most well known 101 Strings, recorded a pile of albums that sold millions and are still popular.
Film composers Riz Ortolani (1926-2014, Yellow Rolls Royce) and Michel Legrand (1932, Umbrellas) have left sizable legacies. Their music on this record is imbued with charm and carefree gaiety. Interestingly, Ortolani plagiarized a passage from Alexander Borodin’s Polovtsian Dances for one of the Yellow RR tunes. While I generally like Legrand’s music better for its consistently beautiful qualities, I was eager to hear Ortolani’s excerpts because of my previous lack of any familiarity with him. What I heard was okay but with a few bland moments.
All in all though, the record can be heartily recommended to film music connoisseurs and any other interested collectors.
It has been out of print for many years yet copies are listed for sale on Amazon.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – TV: NCIS; Conductor: Andre Cluytens; Film: Dark Eyes; Music: Liszt
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Singer: Laura Nyro; Director: Yannick Nezet-Seguin
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Bizet: Carmen excerpts
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: The World’s Greatest Cellists
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Singer: Sarah Vaughan
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto Part 2
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Felix Mendelssohn, Part 1
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Book: The Fifties by David Halberstam
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Beethoven’s 5 Piano Concertos
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Jazz musician: Count Basie; Composer: Ravel