The University of Maine at Augusta College of Arts and Sciences and the University of Maine at Augusta Senior College has announced the next Forum on the Future entitled News, Real or Fake? The program will be at Jewett Hall on the university campus on Sunday, January 28, from 2 – 4 p.m. A snow date is scheduled for February 4. There will be a panel presentation with a refreshment break, followed by a question and answer period. Forums are the presentation of the variety of ideas on a subject, and are not intended for debate.
The January forum will be introduced and moderated by Marilyn Canavan, of Waterville, a former state legislator and a retired Director of the State Ethics Committee.
Today, we are hearing repeated accusations of news items being real or fake, and many are confused about how these terms are used and when they are accurate.
Also participating will be Mal Leary, political correspondent for Maine Public, Bill Nemitz, columnist for Maine Today, and Jessica Lowell, journalist with the Kennebec Journal.
Leary is the winner of many awards, he reports regularly on state government and politics. He is a native Mainer, and lifelong journalist.
Nemitz is an experienced wartime correspondent, having followed our troops three times to Iraq, and twice to Afghanistan. In fact, in 2004, he was cited a Maine Journalist of the Year by the Maine Press Association.
Lowell has won awards for investigatory and explanatory journalism.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Four new CNAs ready for area nursing home staffing
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute announces fall 2017 dean’s list
- Caron, Franks on dean’s list at Castleton University spring 2018
- Americans for America rally set for April 14 in Augusta
- Kennebec Historical Society’s presentation
- CSA Fair at Lithgow Public Library
- AUGUSTA: Kennebec Historical Society to hear Joey Kelley
- Anne Guadalupi one of 60 students inducted into Assumption College honors program
- Guadalupi named to the Assumption College women’s cross country team
- Ducks Unlimited’s Kennebec chapter to host annual fundraiser