Maine Connections Academy (MCA), the state’s first virtual public charter school, has selected Lily Thompson, an eighth grader from Somerville, as its January STAR Student. Lily was chosen due to her engagement in her lessons and her consistently excellent performance in and outside of school.
Lily enrolled in Maine Connections Academy in 2016, seeking more flexibility to devote additional time to her talents in music and horseback riding. Outside of MCA, Lily plays piano and violin and participates in multiple orchestral groups. Her favorite activity at MCA is the school’s Academic Summits, events where students from across the state come together with teachers and special guests for days of learning and fun.
Lily’s favorite subject is Gifted and Talented Literature Study. Lily enjoys literature study because of the opportunities it gives her to analyze short stories and engage in discussion with her peers. Algebra is her second favorite subject. Says Lily, “[Algebra] is like another language. Instead of words there are numbers. Numbers always have an exact definition, and words sometimes don’t.”
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Students learn about fire prevention
- Magic of Christmas at Yule Goat Farm
- Folk concert & Contra dance at Pumpkin Vine Farm Aug. 12
- Whitefield Lions induct two members
- Fairfield Cops Care For Kids Program experiences another great year
- BBBS recruiting new volunteers
- WGN back
- Winslow teen wins preliminary round of video competition
- Fundraiser planned for Jacob Seigars
- Common Ground: Win a $10 Gift Certificate! (January 10, 2019)