Vassalboro Planning Board members were able to give Parker Denico one of the two permits he needs for a seasonal vegetable stand in North Vassalboro. For the other, he needs to go first to the Board of Appeals.
Denico said he would like to build his stand on Ray Breton’s Main Street lot, near the gazebo. Planning Board members found he needed a site review permit for the business. They went through the site review criteria and unanimously approved that permit, finding the new business would have no adverse impacts on the neighborhood.
Denico also needs a shoreland zoning permit to put the temporary building less than 250 feet from Outlet Stream. He estimated the distance to the stream at 50 feet or maybe a little more, well within the 100 feet where no new building is allowed without a variance from the setback requirement.
Board members told Denico only the bard of appeals can grant variances. The variance, if approved, would go with the land, not with Denico’s business, Board Chairman Virginia Brackett said, so Breton would benefit as well.
Breton tore down a house that had been even closer to Outlet Stream, and local ordinances say such a non-conforming building can be replaced within one year, board members said. However, they and Codes Officer Richard Dolby found the house was torn down more than a year ago and Breton’s application to replace it had expired. Denico plans a stand that would be a maximum of 10 by 20 feet, he said. He would like to open in June and plans to close no later than the end of October. He grows cucumbers himself and intends to sell produce from other area growers, starting with strawberries from Benton if he can get the stand approved and open early enough.
The board of appeals already had a May 8 meeting scheduled. Dolby said he would ask members how soon they could meet again to hear Denico’s variance request.
- Vassalboro board of appeals gives farm stand go ahead
- Vassalboro auditor happy with town finances, but not the school’s
- Vassalboro board of appeals schedules two meetings; Denico veggie stand, Welch permit
- Vassalboro selectmen appoint Conservation Commission member; award bulk waste contract
- Vassalboro proposed budget shows 0.90 mil rate increase
- Vassalboro selectmen work to finalize warrant for town meeting
- Vassalboro committee continues work on town budget
- Vassalboro town school officials work to lower school budget
- Vassalboro School board reviews unfinished 2018-19 budget
- Vassalboro department heads submit requests to budget committee