by Frank Richards
President, Webber Pond Association
By way of update, the winter is going well. We had an extended period of really cold weather. Many days in a row where the thermometer at my house was minus-25 degrees.
Suddenly, there was a radical shift in the jet stream and we had two days of torrential rain with temperatures in the 40s. All of it came off the watershed. No way it could be absorbed by the frozen ground or snow that melted.
Widespread flooding in Augusta and Winslow. No issues with the Webber Dam. Thirty years ago we were advised to keep the pool between a foot and two feet below the spillway to protect against surges during the winter. That’s about three feet of draw at the control gates. It was good advice.
- Andrew Browne makes dean’s list
- Vassalboro Fishing derby results
- Maine’s native wildflowers come to Vassalboro School
- VASSALBORO: About a dozen turn out for solar power presentation
- Legislative hearing scheduled on Sheepscot dam issue
- With winter settled in, ice fishing success increases
- Save the Mill fundraiser reaches preliminary goal
- Maine Children’s Home seeks clothing donations; get a free haircut
- ARI to hold informational walk at Masse Sawmill
- Window inserts offer available for residents