Earl Brechlin, author and Registered Maine Guide, will speak about his life and works at the Albert Church Brown Memorial Library on Sunday, August 25, at 2 p.m. He plans to read from his newest book, Return to Moose River: In Search of the Spirit of the Great North Woods, a collection of essays describing outdoor adventures – white-water canoeing, snowmobiling, backpacking – in many parts of Maine. Return to Moose River won the 2019 John Cole Award for Maine-themed non-fiction.
Brechlin’s presentation includes a slideshow about great figures in Maine’s outdoor heritage. He says that Maine’s land and water conservation programs have been successful, but, “We haven’t done as well preserving the human history and legends that populate these places. Whether it’s the native Americans, early settlers, explorers, loggers or others, you can’t separate the people from the land or the land from the people and we need to do more to celebrate that.”
He will also have books for sale, autographed on request.
The Albert Church Brown Memorial Library is located at 37 Main Street in China Village. The program is open to all at no charge; refreshments will be served.
More information on the guest speaker is available at the “Return to Moose River” Facebook page or www.earlbrechlin.com.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Just Our Jams raises money for local food pantry
- LakeSmart designation awarded to two China Lake residents
- Interviews with China Lake Association leadership; Goal is to educate, re-engage membership
- Prize Vegetable Contest & Children’s Best-Decorated Fruit or Vegetable Award
- Pauleys celebrate 65th anniversary
- 2021 Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) at work
- Maritime Energy president, Susan Ware Page, nominated for NEFI Legends Award
- Second vaccines available in China
- China Community Days set for this weekend
- 18th annual China Community Days set for Aug. 6-8, 2021