New China town manager takes over with unprecedented local support

China town manager Rebecca Hapgood. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

As China’s new town manager, Becky Hapgood is taking over the position at one of the most challenging times in the town’s history. With big projects on the horizon, like the Causeway Phase 2 construction planned for later this summer, and the COVID-19 pandemic making all aspects of life more complicated, Hapgood is facing a host of responsibilities right out of the gate not usually associated with being a small-town manager.

Thankfully, Hapgood has a number of factors in her favor. She’s worked at the China town office for nearly three decades and was recognized for 25 years of service in a ceremony last year. During that time, she has served under three town managers in China and watched at least that many come and go in nearby towns. This experience has given her a perspective on the job not possessed by most who take up the position. I asked her what she has learned.

“Always be open and transparent,” she says. “Have conversations. Listen to what people say. Those are my big things. Transparency is key. Having communications — not only with the townspeople, but with the employees, because the employees are what back you up. They are your support system.”

Luckily, she’s feeling pretty good about her team at the town office. “I love our people,” she gushes enthusiastically. “We have some very top-notch people.”

It helps that she already thinks of the town of China as home. Growing up here, her parents opened and operated the Back’s Dairy Bar, in South China, for many years. After high school, she attended Thomas College, in Waterville, and graduated with a degree in business management. With this experience and education, one thing she understands is the importance of supporting local businesses.

“My father always used to drive home that it was sometimes difficult to do business in China,” she recalls. “It was something that I always remember as a kid growing up. When you have a business, there are always hurdles, but to have somebody work in conjunction with you … or just help you to access things you need to start up a business or to help your business grow [is an important part of the town manager job].”

The COVID-19 pandemic has also created new difficulties not encountered by most of her predecessors. The risks posed by the virus have turned mundane activities and services offered by the town office into new and unique challenges.

It doesn’t help that the town office is busier than ever, partially because one staff person is currently out on leave, which has left the office shorthanded, but also because the demands on the town office staff have increased in the two and a half decades Hapgood has been there.

“The community is far busier,” she says. “We just can’t keep up. We can barely do our day-to-day stuff. We’ve got an election coming up in July and there’s no time to breathe! [With] the election, and Dennis [Heath, current town manager,] getting done, we’re just keeping our heads above water.”

And in the current health crisis, the recent election presented a special challenge. Since the annual business meeting was canceled because of the pandemic, all of the items normally decided at the meeting were on the written ballot instead.

“[We’re] trying to figure out how to get a mass amount of people into a voting booth when we now have a written ballot that is four pages — and that’s just the municipal ballot,” she says.

The pandemic creates other, unique challenges for town offices holding elections. Officials handing out ballots will need to stand behind Plexiglass shields, and volunteers manning the voting machines need to maintain a safe distance at all times. Residents waiting to vote will need to be kept out of the sun while still observing proper social distancing. All of this adds additional complications to an already hectic day.

Things weren’t exactly easy even before the current crisis. “The amount of time needed to invest in what we do to prepare for an election is so much more than it was even ten years ago,” says Hapgood.

One of the other trends that Hapgood has observed over the last several decades is a drop in local community involvement. Volunteers are harder to find than they used to be. Town committees are sometimes sparsely populated and filling vacancies is more difficult. Hapgood has been in a unique place to observe this alarming trend, in her position as town clerk, as a volunteer coach for China youth athletics, and as one of the founders of the China Community Days event, which was skipped this summer for the first time in 17 years.

“We’re finding out more now that people aren’t necessarily into volunteering and participating,” she says. “We used to see a lot of volunteers, whether it be for athletics or things here [at the town office]. Our volunteer numbers are dwindling. People have other focuses in their lives.”

And that was before the current complications resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Just as a coach in youth [athletics] over the years…the numbers have decreased steadily. That’s why, back in the day, we started China Community Days,” she explains, “because we could see that [civic engagement] was slipping, and this gave us an avenue to bring everybody together.” Even that effort is struggling though. “It’s evident within the China Community Days volunteers,” she admits with a sigh.

More than anything, Hapgood would like to see that trend reverse. “I am all about the community,” she says. “This is where I grew up…and [I’m] very invested in the community. I like to see where the kids go off to school and see them return [and] watch their kids grow up…and welcoming people back to town when they move back. Those are the important things. Those are the connections we need here — we need more of them!”

After her many years dedicated to the town of China, it’s no surprise that Hapgood is taking over the town manager position with a great deal of community support. In my research for this article, I invited local residents to leave comments on Facebook about their interactions with Becky over the years. Here are a few of the things they shared. (The following comments have been lightly edited for spelling errors and readability.)

“Becky Hapgood always has a ‘positive can-do and super helpful’ manner in approaching any question I have ever posed to her at the town office,” says Christine Castner, a South China resident who grew up in China Village. “That attitude has been the over-riding impression I have had with any interaction with Becky.”

“Hunted and vacationed in China for years,” comments Paul Lucas. “When the opportunity came in 2006, we bought a home and moved to China. On our first visit to the China town office, Becky introduced herself and helped us by explaining what we needed to do to register vehicles, where to vote, about the Homestead Act, and directions to the Registry of Motor Vehicles for driver’s licenses. When my wife, Jane, and I left the town office that day, we knew we had made the right decision moving to China. Becky is always polite, professional and helpful. She will always take a moment to smile and say hello. A wonderful choice for town manager. Congratulations.”

Wendy Paine says, “Becky has always taken calls, texts, and private messages on weekends and after hours. She totally didn’t need to do this but always has! And [she has] always encouraged people to reach out to her anytime!”

For Becky Hapgood, the town of China is her life and she’s always on duty. “If we’re in Hannaford, people stop me all the time and ask questions — and it’s no big deal!” she insists. “Whether it’s ten o’clock at night or eight o’clock in the morning, that’s what I’m here for.”

The lengths she will go to seem, in fact, to have no bounds. Bunny Caldwell told me, “Becky has always been great to do business with. She helped us register our Maine dogs from Florida, and one year even chipped in a couple of bucks of her own that we owed in our taxes. We paid her back as soon as we got home. She always is friendly and has a big smile for everyone.”

Resident Kim Leighton Matthews expressed similar sentiments: “She has always gone [above and] beyond to help solve any problems we may have had with voter registration, a work permit for [our] teenage daughter, registering our dog, etc…” she says in a comment. “It has always felt less like dealing with bureaucracy and more like neighbor helping neighbor with Becky.”

Another resident, Michelle Bourque, saw Matthews’ comment and agreed wholeheartedly: “You nailed it: ‘More like neighbor helping neighbor with Becky.’”

Jeanne Marquis, who lives in China Village and serves as volunteer coordinator for the China for a Lifetime Committee, a local group that supports community activism, confirms Hapgood’s commitment to helping others. “Becky has connected local residents who need a little help to the China for a Lifetime Committee,” she says. “It is always in confidence so I can’t tell you the details, just that the individuals are very appreciative. She has a big heart!”

Another resident, Terrie Farris, remembers her time in China youth athletics under Coach Hapgood. “Becky was my J.V. basketball coach at China schools,” she recalls, “and she is someone I will never forget. She was always patient, supportive, understanding, caring and compassionate. She put her all into helping us become better players. She was always upbeat, positive — a can-do attitude with so much love in her heart to share with us all. I think it’s important for a coach to be able to connect with her players on a personal level and she was always tuned into us all as individuals. Becky is someone I’ve never forgotten or lost touch with as I’ve grown into an adult and a mother. She is just fabulous and I love seeing her expand on her career path.”

According to longtime resident Martha Wentworth, the new town manager also has a mischievous sense of humor. “Becky is a great prankster,” she says. “That has got to make your article. I have a story for you if you need one, but I’m only one in a pool of many China residents that have been schooled by this fine lady. I have yet to get her back.” Let’s just say, one of the stories involves wanted posters plastered all over a parking lot and another involves cars filled with packing peanuts!

Angela Nelson, who has worked for municipalities in Palermo and Sidney, and is now taking over the town clerk position in China, remembers leaning on Hapgood’s experience over the years. “When I first started in the municipality world in March of 2012,” she says, “Becky was the friendly voice on the other end of the phone, eager to help in any way she can. She even stopped by my office to help me with my first ever accounts payable warrant. Now, here we are eight years later and I have the privilege to work with her every day! Her vast knowledge of China and municipal government is irreplaceable. Congratulations, Becky.”

Michelle Laweryson Presby seems to summarize the broad community feelings about Becky Hapgood when she commented: “Becky was always a talented and much-appreciated high school sport photographer – not only for her athletes, but for the entire team. Becky always goes above and beyond in everything she does personally and professionally!”

As you have probably concluded already if you’ve read this far, Becky is facing a tough time ahead as China’s new town manager, with big projects on the horizon, an uncertain future with COVID-19, and a trending lack of civic engagement that is impacting many small towns in Maine and around the country – but she’s also taking on the position with an overwhelming and unprecedented level of local community support.

Contact the author at ericwaustin@gmail.com.

Taste of Waterville will go on

Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce’s 28th Annual Taste of Waterville is planned for Sunday, October 11, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., at the Head of Falls, Downtown Waterville.

Applications are now being accepted for restaurant, bite, booth, food truck and food-related vendor participants. Contact Cindy@midmainechamber.com.

For more information as it is determined, visit www.tasteofwaterville.com.

Vassalboro Business Association (VBA) announces 2020 scholarship winners

From top left: Cole Leclerc, Adam Bonenfant, Benjamin Reed and Lily Roy.

The Vassalboro Business Association has announced the recipients of its four $500 scholarships. Much of this money was raised by Freddie’s Cruise in, an annual event organized by Bill and Roxanne Pullen.

The winners are Cole Jefferson Leclerc, Adam Bonenfant, and Benjamin Reed, all from Erskine Academy, in South China, and Lily Roy who attended Waterville High School.

Cole Jefferson Leclerc plans to study business at Thomas College, in Waterville, and graduate early with an accelerated program. He loves to play baseball, has volunteered helping other athletes learn and improve their games. Much of his volunteer tasks were with the Future Business Leaders of America.

Lily Roy plans to major in graphic design or marketing. She has worked as a Junior Church teacher assistant for the last two years. She also helped with Red Cross blood drives and helped serve food at the homeless shelter.

Adam Bonenfant completed his community service working on his Eagle Scout Project. He will attend Kennebec Valley Community College, in Fairfield, in the new sustainable construction association degree program.

Benjamin Reed will attend the University of Southern Maine, in Gorham, and study Behavioral Sciences with a concentration in Counseling. His community service was as a Junior Camp Counselor. He served on the student council and as a student ambassador.

Over two dozen boats in Sheepscot parade

The Sheepscot Lake Association hosted the second annual Independence Day boat parade, on Sheepscot Lake, on July 4, 2020. Over 25 decorated boats participated, with many others enjoying the festivities from the shore. (contributed photos)

The Sheepscot Lake Association 2020 boat parade. (contributed photo)

China manager leaving town in good shape

Retiring town manager Dennis Heath. (photo by Eric Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

“Above all, I hope the people of China have an optimistic outlook about the future,” said Dennis Heath, who is resigning from his position as manager for the town of China this week. “With Becky [Hapgood] stepping up as town manager they have nothing to fear.”

Heath was hired as China’s town manager in June 2018 when Daniel L’Heureux retired from the position after 22 years. Current town clerk, Becky Hapgood, has been chosen by the selectboard to succeed Heath as the new town manager.

In a few weeks, Heath and his wife, Mary, will be returning to Oklahoma to care for their aging parents. Leaving Maine was not an easy decision. “I’ve enjoyed my time here,” he said. “Mary and I are not happy about leaving. We came primarily because of our grandkids being here, so that means we’ll be leaving our grandchildren.” Heath and his wife currently own a home on Cross Road, in China, and attend China Baptist Church where Heath has occasionally taken on pastoral duties. “We’ve become very close with them,” he says of the church community. “Leaving them is leaving family.”

Their return to Oklahoma was prompted by the failing health of Heath’s mother and the need to live closer to both their parents as they age. “We made a commitment decades ago to our parents that we would be the ones to look after them when the time came,” he said, “and that time has come.”

During his tenure at the China town office, Heath has tried to decentralize authority and empower the managers below him. “I believe that it’s the responsibility of a senior leader to develop the people that are beneath him so that if something were to happen to him, he could step away or – God forbid – expire, and you don’t skip a beat,” he said. “That was primarily why, upon my arrival, I called together the department heads [and] I pushed authority out to them instead of consolidating it. It’s dangerous when you consolidate authority in one person.”

Following this philosophy, he has required that each department head create their own budget. Because of that “they have a lot more understanding about decisions that are made by the budget committee, by the selectboard, [and] by the townspeople, in terms of the amount of money that’s allocated. It’s better for them, and I think it’s better for the community.”

Not everything has gone smoothly during Heath’s two years as town manager. During his first year, controversy erupted over the paying of “stipends” to the town’s volunteer fire departments. “I was a little disappointed that it ratcheted up the way it did,” Heath reflected.

The issue was over the legality of how money was being given to the fire departments, and was eventually solved by including the monetary gift as a different line item in the town’s budget.

“I can understand the point of view of the fire departments,” he said. “They’ve been independently incorporated since their beginning, and they don’t want to lose that identity. At the same time, the elected officials and the officers of the town have the legal responsibility to protect the taxpayers and make sure everything is done within the law…If the townspeople want to give money to the fire departments to help them pay stipends, then there’s a way to do that, and that’s why I put it in the budget this year the way I did, so that you don’t have to continue that fight.”

The energy expended over this issue may have distracted from other important initiatives, Heath said. Among them was a proposal to purchase lakefront property for a public beach (on land across from the town office and next to the Four Seasons Club), a plan for a new community building (on the lot adjacent to the current town office at the corner of Lakeview Drive and the Alder Park Road), and a proposal to build a consolidated emergency services building.

Retiring town manager Dennis Heath, left, handed Becky Hapgood, center, incoming town manager, personalized stationary, as Board of Selectmen Chairman Ron Breton looks on. (contributed photo)

“One of the things I suggested,” Heath said, in regard to the effort to establish public lake access, “[was that] there might be an opportunity to do an agreement with the China Four Seasons Club, where their property becomes the public lake access. So, I’ve encouraged Becky to talk to Tom Rumpf, [president of the China Four Seasons Club], and see what they might be willing to do.”

Looking toward the future, Heath thinks the town should continue to push the Maine Legislature to give small towns like China a legal way to opt-out of collecting local taxes on personal property and business equipment. A bill allowing this was introduced last year by Representative Tim Theriault (R-China). Heath spoke in favor of the proposal before the Legislature’s Taxation Committee.

“I went to bat at the State House about business and personal property taxes,” he said, “and I maintain that that is something that needs to be done statewide to allow smaller communities, like China – that are hurting on the business side of things – to be able to say: If we can incentivize business to come into this town to help us be stronger, then we need the flexibility to say we’re not going to collect those taxes.”

Heath also expressed the opinion that China should look further into establishing some land use and zoning ordinances in order to spur controlled economic growth and development. Many people are against zoning because they see it as limiting their development choices, but Heath disagrees. “I’m not a proponent of zoning to take away from people,” he said. “I’m for zoning to protect people. Zoning can be a good thing if it’s done right.”

The Heaths will be leaving China with heavy hearts for the relationships they’ve cultivated. “We’re not happy because we’re leaving a lot of good, close friends behind,” he said. “This is a fabulous job. I couldn’t imagine working with – or for – a better group of people.”

He also had some praise for The Town Line’s coverage during his tenure. “One of the things I’ve appreciated about The Town Line from the very beginning is that they report the news. I have not sensed a bias,” he said. “If there’s ever an opinion given, it’s very clearly indicated that it’s an opinion and I appreciate that. I just wish more news outlets were like that.”

As for his plans once the couple gets settled back in Oklahoma, Heath says he is considering going back to work in the ministry and is in talks with a local church there that is in need of a pastor, but he has certainly not ruled out returning to municipal government. While in Maine, he has continued his education and recently completed his master’s degree in Public Administration.

Heath’s last official day as China town manager will be July 18, but it may not be the last the people of China see of the Heaths. “Thank you for welcoming me and Mary to the community,” he said. “We have already talked about coming back for visits.”

St. Anthony’s Soup Kitchen re-opens in Skowhegan

Nora Natale and Aldea LeBlanc, St. Anthony Soup Kitchen volunteers. (contributed photo)

Community members can once again enjoy a hot meal every Thursday thanks to the volunteers at St. Anthony’s Soup Kitchen in Skowhegan.

“The soup kitchen is resuming because there is a need in the community, and most of the crew are more than ready to see our guests and meet the need,” said Nora Natale, office manager at Christ the King Parish.

“There is a definite need in this area,” agreed Aldea LeBlanc, coordinator of the soup kitchen. “None of us wanted to close during the pandemic, but it was mandated.”

After shutting down in March due to COVID-19, the soup kitchen began serving meals again on June 4, although with some precautionary measures in place. Volunteers wear masks and practice social distancing, while diners are no longer allowed in the hall of Notre Dame de Lourdes Church, where they used to gather. Instead, the meals are served in a drive-thru format in the parking lot of the church, with recipients remaining in their cars.

While the delivery method has changed, what hasn’t is the appeal of the meals. Macaroni and cheese was on the menu the first week, followed by pork chops the next. Those who drive through on June 18 will be treated to barbecue chicken legs, served with potato salad and corn.

“We will continue to do full meals on Thursdays. We also provide a vegetable and fruit of some kind, as well as donated desserts and bread,” said Aldea. “The meals are served from 4:30 to 5 p.m. ,to anyone who pulls up.”

The soup kitchen is entirely volunteer run, and while not all have immediately felt comfortable returning, those like Aldea plan to be there to cook, serve, and welcome guests with warm smiles, even if they are hidden behind masks.

“I plan to stay on volunteering for the foreseeable future,” she said.

St. Anthony’s Soup Kitchen was first established in 1991, then shut down in 2017 while the parish sought funding and someone to lead it. Aldea stepped forward, along with Steve Watrous, and the kitchen began serving meals again in November 2018. Patrons not only come from Skowhegan but from surrounding communities such as Athens, Bingham, and Canaan.

New Dimensions FCU moves into new space

Ryan Poulin, center, CEO of New Dimensions FCU, prepares to cut the ribbon at a special ceremony commemorating the opening of the credit union’s new Waterville location. (contributed photo)

Ryan Poulin, CEO of New Dimensions FCU, prepares to cut the ribbon at a special ceremony commemorating the opening of the credit union’s new Waterville location. On June 23, representatives from the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, Central Maine Growth Council, City of Waterville, and Bowman Construction joined New Dimensions FCU’s Board of Directors and employees at a ribbon cutting ceremony at its beautiful, new location on Silver Street in Waterville. The credit union opened its new branch at 94 Silver Street, on June 29. All services at the 61 Grove Street location will be discontinued.

Dreaming of a Christmas of good health and world peace

Photo by Central Maine Photography

by Mark Huard

Merry Christmas in July! A message from the North Pole to the joyful people of Kringleville, Maine USA! We cherish our visits with the welcoming folks in the booming City of Waterville. There is tremendous continued growth in your beautiful city. Castonguay Square is the heartbeat of your downtown and we are honored to be at your square during the holidays.

Santa is always watching you grow and to see if you have been naughty or nice. Mrs. Claus was tickled to learn about how much you have all grown from reading your letters aloud to Santa that you sent during your time at home through the COVID-19 pandemic. Santa and Mrs. Claus encourage all of you to continue to grow and learn. Whether you are learning how to play an instrument, taking voice lessons, building extreme Lego structures, following instructions, or following a recipe, maybe you’re trying to be a better listener, we are proud of you. Keep learning, keep listening and keep trying. All we ask is that you try your best. You have been brave…Continue to be brave! You have been strong through all of the changes that this year has brought to the world. Always remember to be part of solutions, rather than adding to problems. Be good…Be nice…Be kind…Be respectful of all others!

People of all ages from around the globe visit the cabin. There are Christmas lovers from Poland, Hawaii, China, Korea, Virginia, Arkansas, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Seattle, the Philippines and all over Maine and New England. We love that you all continue to be part of the Kringleville story season after season and keep the tradition in such a wonderful city. We understand that there could potentially be travel limitations this upcoming 2020 season. Santa and Mrs. Claus are staying connected with the Children’s Discovery Museum to ensure that Christmas will go on for Kringleville followers. Though there might be alternative ways to connect with Santa, we are working to ensure that all can connect with Santa even if the conversation of sharing your Christmas wishes with Santa is a remote visit this season.

Year after year, Kringleville has more visitors at the Kringleville Christmas cabin to visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus. The Kringleville “reach” of “followers” grew during the 2019 season from hundreds to thousands: 3,284 to be exact. There was a growth of 275% of our connection with Kringleville followers this past season and an increase of 1850% in engagements while Santa and Mrs. Claus were in town. Since this past Kringleville season, followers have remained engaged with Kringleville via the Kringleville Facebook page. During COVID-19, an additional 64 Christmas spirited folks joined Kringleville’s fabulous followers bringing the total to 3,348.

Kringleville continues with the support of The Children’s Discovery Museum led by Executive Director, Amarinda Keys. Thank you again to the generous 2019 Kringleville sponsors: The Children’s Discovery Museum, Central Maine Chevy, Selah Tea Café, Day’s Jewelers and Bangor Savings Bank. Additional supporters are GHM Insurance, Marden’s, the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, Central Maine Photography, Fabian Oil, U.S. Cellular, Pine Tree Cellular, REZ Life Church, Waterville High School Key Club and others who share in the Kringleville Christmas spirit.

Santa and Mrs. Claus would like to recognize and especially thank volunteer Scott McAdoo for his commitment to the love of Christmas at Kringleville. We thank Central Maine Photography’s head elf Cinnamon. We celebrate Cinnamon for her 11-year Kringleville loyalty.

All of us at the North Pole, appreciate the generosity of Central Maine Chevy being Kringleville’s major sponsor. If you or your business would like to contribute to the success of this timeless Waterville tradition, please contact Amarinda Keys at The Children’s Discovery Museum at (207) 622-2209 or email amarinda@childrensdiscoverymuseum.org to ask how you too can be a part of the magic of Christmas at Kringleville for the 2020 season.

We are half-way to Christmas! Happy Christmas in July everyone! Where there’s a will there’s a way and our will here in the North Pole is unstoppable. Santa wants everyone to keep in mind that Christmas isn’t something you should have in your heart only once a year. The spirit of Christmas should live in your heart year-round. So, take Santa’s advice and be kind to all others! Mrs. Claus sends COVID-FREE hugs from our North Pole home to your home. Wishing you a summer full of joy and happiness!

Literacy Volunteers announces winners of scholarship contest

Adam Bonenfant

Literacy Volunteers Waterville Area has announced the two winners of their Literacy Volunteers Waterville Area Essay Scholarship Awards. Issac Violette, a resident of Oakland, and a 2020 graduate from Messalonskee High School, in Oakland, won the $500 scholarship award and plans to attend classes at the Orono campus of the University of Maine. Adam Bonenfant, a resident of Vassalboro, and a 2020 graduate from Erskine Academy, in South China, won the $150 award. Adam plans to pursue his studies at Kennebec Valley Community College, in Fairfield, in the fall.

Issac Violette

Camp Tracy alumni scholarships available

Photo source: Camp Tracy website (camptracy.org)

Camp Tracy Alumni are ready to help you afford camp this summer!

Apply for a partial or full scholarship for weeks 6-10 of Camp Tracy by the deadline of June 30, 2020.

Send Completed Applications to CampTracyAlumni@gmail.com, or mail to Will Barlock, 267 Concord St West, Portland, ME 04103. Applications are available on the Camp Tracy website.