by Cailee Elsasser, 8th grade, China Middle School, JMG Council Officer
How are we helping people recover from Hurricane Harvey? When we realized there was a China, Texas, which unfortunately was in the path of the storm, we felt it was a natural connection to help. The China Middle School JMG organized a spare change drive to help support the students and teachers in China, Texas, as their middle school was destroyed by the flooding. The China Middle and Primary schools stepped up big time, collecting over $500 in change and monetary donations.
A combination of concession proceeds and staff jeans day money was also contributed. And then on the final day of change collection Calvin Mason, an eighth grader in JMG, was sorting and counting box tops. He proposed adding the $150 in box tops that his group had just processed to the change drive. Principal Ms. Bowden graciously accepted the proposal, which brought the grand total to $900. We always want to get involved with community projects whenever we can, whether that’s China, Texas, or China, Maine. We look forward to hearing more inspiring stories in our district and communities!
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- China Four Seasons Club: Non-profit Spotlight
- Free ME from Lung Cancer breathes life into community
- Dirigo Lodge delivers food to area food pantries
- China School’s Forest opens a new trail
- Controversy over China Police Department heats up
- Town manager explains proposed police budget for 2021-22
- Eagle Scout rank awarded to Hunter Praul, of China
- China School Forest work day set for May 8
- Erskine cereal box challenge nets 3,544 boxes for local food pantries
- 2021 Ice Out winner!