To the editor:
A recent post on DailyOM.com triggered thoughts I have been thinking about all day. When my son was a teenager, he and his buddy would be out looking for odd jobs for money. Whether it be during the summer or winter they were asking for work. Allowances weren’t just given without chores being done or errands completed. As we move into the present, there are people here in our town, towns within the State and nation-wide where much of our teenage population aren’t serving/servicing their communities.
The elderly and people with disabilities could and would benefit from a helping hand. We aren’t asking for free service, we are willing to pay. The problem, as I see it, is that we don’t know where to look. Boy Scouts, 4H clubs or students from high school do not appear to be making the effort. There aren’t many students willing to do odd jobs or shovel walk-ways or ramps covered in snow.
Do the teenagers of today know what it is meant to be of service? Where do we find them? What do you think about the town offices offer to keep a list of the students or adults who are willing and able to work, with their phone numbers?
Sandy Yates Mathieson
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- LETTERS: Thank you for good thoughts
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: I miss that America
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: It’s not hunting; it’s just killing
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: AARP fighting for prescription drug cost reductions
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Government overreach removes our parental choice
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Close Town Landing Road
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Any veteran can join the Legion
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR – Litterers: Help us out. Don’t flatten cans!
- LETTERS: Trash pick up response exceptional
- LETTERS: Those extraordinary fireworks!