That’s right … A fleet of three new propane school buses arrived at the Oakland School Garage recently. What used to be known as the “Blue Bird” fleet of diesel engines are now called “Green Birds,” according to Lennie Goff, transportation director of Messalonskee RSU #18 school district.
“The biggest changes in the new fleet are that they run on Propane Autogas rather than unleaded or diesel fuel. And they are very quiet running and warm up faster during cold weather,” he said.
The new fleet includes 2020 propane fed engines. “Two are 78 passenger and one handicapped bus that is a 36 passenger equipped with wheel chair lifts and five wheel chair secured systems to be locked down with seat belts and harness straps worn by students during transit.
“The new buses will see that the fuel costs are going to be substantially less than the diesel or gas engines,” Goff said. “They cost about 30 percent less and are more environmentally friendly. Diesel cost is about $2.35 per gallon, whereas propane fuel is about $1.06 per gallon, plus we’ll get a 37-cent rebate bringing down the cost to under 70 cents per gallon,” he said.
According to Goff, the school district is looking to purchase two more propane buses through a Volkswagen emissions grant.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Shine-On Oakland benefits school food pantries
- Oakland Public Library opens Cassidy’s Corner
- Oakland woman joins Bar Harbor Bank & Trust
- Cash cashes in with two home runs
- Empty Bowls fundraiser to be held at Messalonskee
- Where are they now? Oakland’s Nick Mayo integral part of Eastern Kentucky basketball
- Shine-on Oakland Day benefits food pantry
- Oakland alumni to hold 98th reunion
- Students named to Colby-Sawyer College dean’s list for Fall 2017
- Local students named to Clarkson University dean’s list spring 2018