On Saturday, May 7, DownEast Auctions will sell the longtime collection of Joseph A. Bradstreet. As a young man, he and partner Walter White started White & Bradstreet, in Augusta. In 1953, they began selling used auto parts and doing towing work. They later expanded to used and rebuilt truck parts. Today, White & Bradstreet is one of the largest truck salvage yards in the state of Maine.
In 1988 Bradstreet started the Betty & Joe Bradstreet Transportation Museum, in Palermo. He collected and restored antique cars and trucks. He also collected and displayed an impressive collection of automobile related signs and automobilia. Anyone entering the 60-foot x 100-foot museum building will be amazed at the number and quality of the signs and vehicles displayed. One of the highlights of the auction will be a fully-restored 1937 Cadillac, 4-door sedan. Joe loved trucks; and his favorite was the 1960 Mack B-70. Other impressive trucks are the 1931 International and the 1942 International; both with handcrafted oak stake bodies.
The property consists of 29 acres with four buildings; large two-family home built in 1985. The home has three fireplaces with an impressive library and woodwork, with attached two-car garage. The museum building is 60-feet x 100-feet with nine bays. There is also a two bedroom house with custom woodwork with a heated two-car detached garage. This home would make a great caretaker’s home or office.
The entire property will be offered at the May 7 auction; if not under contract before sale day. The contents of all buildings will be sold: including antique vehicles, work vehicles, unrestored Cadillacs, many unrestored heavy duty trucks, porcelain signs, automobilia, tools, equipment, and Moosehead furniture. Come out for a full day of selling and buying a piece of history. There are so many items to sell, two auctioneers may sell simultaneously. Sale will be catered. Please bring a chair, a limited supply will be available.
For more information on the real estate or to arrange a showing, call Chris Vallee at Vallee Real Estate, 207-622-2220. For more information, visit www.downeastauctions.com for photos and terms, or call DownEast Auctions at 207-548-2393.
- Vassalboro selectmen to hear about LED lights; ARI update; department heads for budget discussions
- China selectmen meeting change due to holiday
- VASSALBORO: Planners approve two permit applications
- VASSALBORO: Town’s reserve funds likely not affected by stock market fluctuations
- China selectmen prepare warrant for budget committee review
- Branch Mills Dam project update
- CHINA: Town manager, selectmen set warrant for town meeting
- VASSALBORO: VBA to host ice fishing derby, indoor mountain bike races
- VASSALBORO: Selectmen to bid out new alewives harvest contract
- China planners to prepare a revised comprehensive plan