by Jac M. Arbour CFP, ChFC
President, J.M. Arbour Wealth Management
Which would you rather have … a million dollars today or the result of one penny doubling every day for the next 30 days? If you chose the penny, good for you! It would be worth about $1.3M on the 28th day and $5,368.709.12 on the 30th day.
In my opinion, there is no factor that has a more profound effect on the value of money than time. Compound interest was once said to be the eighth wonder of the world, and when considering the previous example, you might agree.
As an advisor in the retirement industry, I hear many different reasons about why people choose to participate or not participate in their employer’s 401(k) plan. When speaking with investors, it has always been a goal of mine to effectively explain the power of time and compound interest. Yes, choosing the right stocks or funds is important, but equally important is having time on your side. It doesn’t take a lot of money from one’s paycheck (even $10/week can make a difference) to build something significant for down the road, as long as you start young.
Whether you end up with $100,000 or $5,000,000 at retirement, you’ll be glad you put some money away for yourself and you’ll likely be even happier if you started at a young age.
If you are a parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt, or a friend to a younger person, I hope you share this impactful concept with them and urge them to learn more.
Investment advisory services are offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- THE MONEY MINUTE: How your retirement account can feed hungry kids in Maine and provide scholarships to trade school students
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Nine considerations for your 401(k) rollover
- THE MONEY MINUTE: A dose of positivity goes a long way
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Health, wealth and your best self
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Ever felt financially naked?
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Own a retirement account? Get a load of this…
- THE MONEY MINUTE – Pensions: Do I take the lump sum or monthly payment?
- THE MONEY MINUTE – Christmas gift idea: give them an experience
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Enjoy every age, they’re all good
- THE MONEY MINUTE: Attention retirees: How much are you paying for investment advice?