To the editor:
This coming March at the polls we will have a chance to stop government overreach in Maine by voting YES on Question 1. Proponents of this bill will tell us parents still have a choice when it comes to making medical decisions for your child. What kind of choice is either homeschooling your child or forcing a medical procedure that you have seen cause them harm in the past? That is not a “choice.” It’s an ultimatum.
My yes vote on question 1 is not an “antivax” vote. I have 11-year-old twins. Both have been vaccinated. One was fine with vaccines and will continue to receive them. The other twin was not fine. In fact, she suffered serious adverse effects and is still dealing with those issues today. We as her parents, made the best medical decision for each child. As a result of LD 798, my daughter will be removed from school in 2021 for missing just one dose of one vaccine.
The choice to homeschool or make my daughter sick again is not a “choice” any parent should be forced to make, yet LD 798 does just that. As for single parents, it seems proponents don’t care about a single parent and sole bread winner for the family having to make this “choice.”
The government will never make a better medical decision than parents (who do not make these choices lightly or without a great deal of thought). Please vote Yes to reject government overreach so that ALL children of Maine can receive the education of their choice.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- LETTERS: To prevent false rumors
- LETTERS: How to control municipal spending
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: LD594 easy pathway for retirement savings
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Humidity linked to spreading of flu
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take control of your future
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Times have changed
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Protect previous natural resource
- LETTERS: Thank you for good thoughts
- LETTERS: Do the teenagers of today know what it is meant to be of service?
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: I miss that America