On August 24, four local couples traveled to Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, for the annual Summer Magic Square & Round Dance weekend. The eight dancers were Larry and Kathleen Hillman, of Fairfield, Cindy Fairfield and Bob Brown, of Newport, (both couples are members of the Central Maine Square Dance Club of Waterville), Bruce and Margaret Carter, of Ellsworth, and Nancy and Fred Temple, of Richmond.
They enjoyed an early welcoming dance on Friday with 25 squares of dancers already there. That’s 200 individual dancers. The festival started with round dancing and at 8:45 p.m., the square dancing began with an additional 25 squares joining those already there. Saturday’s dancing started after breakfast, and except for lunch and dinner, went until 11:30 p.m. Sunday, dancing continued until 11:30 a.m.
With over 400 dancers from 20 states and most provinces of Canada dancing to international callers – Don Moger, of Quebec City, Quebec, Michael Kellogg and Charlie Robertson, of California, and Tony Oxendine, of South Carolina, and Round dancer cuer Steve Bradt, of Pennsylvania.
The Central Maine Square Dancers extend an invitation to anyone interested in learning to square dance to just show up on either Tuesday night September 16 or 26 at 6:30 p.m., for an informational evening of free beginner lessons. For more info call Bob 447-0094, Cindy 631-8816, or Jeff 416-6444.
- Guitar concert benefit foundation
- King named to NEWMAC All Sportsmanship team
- Save the Mill fundraiser reaches preliminary goal
- Winter wonderland sleigh ride
- Crockett elected Kennebec Historical Society president
- Opiates in Central Maine: Not just a National Crisis
- Colby College students perform at ‘Jazz at Lincoln Center’
- Erskine Academy’s Winter Concert scheduled for December 20, 2017
- Clinton elementary students hold drive for homeless shelter
- Whitefield Lions host Christmas for Kids