With the recent purchase of the Abel Jones house, the South China Library has taken the next step in the journey to find a new location for the library. The Abel Jones house, located on Jones Road, in South China, is the birthplace and boyhood home of Rufus M. Jones. The historic home, built in 1815, and its adjacent property, offers many possibilities for the expansion of the library and its programs for community members of all ages.
While there will not be immediate changes at the library, the library directors and volunteers are excited about planning for the future and including ideas and input from the community.
The public is invited to the South China Library annual meeting on Monday, August 1, at 6 p.m. at the library, 247 Village Street in South China. Please join us to hear highlights of current programs and continue the conversation about the future of the library. All are welcome. Light refreshments will be served.
South China Library is the oldest continuously operating library in Maine. Established in 1830, the library is a nonprofit organization run by dedicated volunteers. Please call 445-4188 or visit southchinalibrary.org for more information.
Submitted by South China Library committee
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Road Warriors
- How to take great pictures on your cell phone
- Letters to the Editor: Thanks for China Lake water quality
- Augusta’s Lincoln School benefits from Eagle Scout project
- Erskine Academy bus route schedule for 2018-19 school year
- Selectmen approve new schedule at transfer station
- Groundbreaking for new South China Library
- 2018 China Community Days: Program of Events
- Invasive plant patrol workshop on China Lake
- China throws retirement party for town manager