China Town Manager Dennis Heath submitted his resignation to selectmen at their May 26 meeting, “with a heavy but grateful heart.” He asked that it become effective July 18, after the planned July 14 written-ballot town business meeting.
Heath explained that because his mother in Oklahoma is in declining health, he and his wife Mary want to fulfill their longstanding commitment to be with her as her life winds down.
Selectmen unanimously accepted the resignation, with regret. They also accepted Heath’s recommendation that Town Clerk Becky Hapgood be appointed interim manager, effective July 18. They then voted to seek a legal opinion on whether they are required to advertise the position, and if there is no legal or other impediment to hire Hapgood as Heath’s full-time successor, it would become effective July 19.
Hapgood, participating in the virtual meeting, said she would be honored to accept the position.
Heath was hired to succeed Daniel L’Heureux in mid-May 2018 and became town manager when L’Heureux retired June 30, 2018.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- China planners approve revised permit for daycare
- Fish die-off reported on China Lake
- What to expect at the polls in China on July 14
- China selectmen focus on revised TIF program
- China TIF committee tackles four topics
- Town meeting to be by written ballot; absentee voting encouraged
- China planners seek to place revised comprehensive plan on November ballot
- China transfer station accepting recycling
- Becky Hapgood appointed to succeed Heath as China town manager
- China selectmen act on town manager resignation; summer work