To the editor:
Just a reminder as nothing much was mentioned about this historic event. On August 6, 1945, Colonel Tibbetts dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Three days later, Major Charles W. Sweeney dropped the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki. These two bombings hasnted the ending of World War II. It should be noted that the warship which delivered the final components for the second A-bomb started from Taiwan and was torpedoes by a Japanese U-boat killing over 800 sailors. For a more understanding of the bombing, please read Wars End by Major General Charles W. Sweeney, USAF (Ret.). He and I spoke about this and corresponded many times before he died.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- LETTERS: Turn the wheel for ourselves
- LETTERS: “Hell, Yes,” on China’s Question #1
- LETTERS: Opposed to candidate because of past performance
- LETTERS: Vote “yes” for better internet
- LETTERS: A thank you to the community, Supports Marquis for selectboard
- LETTERS: Marquis is superb candidate
- LETTERS: Jeanne is a darn good listener
- LETTERS: Voting “yes” for better internet service
- LETTERS: Freedom has many meanings
- LETTERS: Sad day at Country Manor