To the editor:
Amidst the drama at the recent Selectmen meeting, I noted Tom Michaud is busily repairing fire roads throughout the town. In addition, he is taking suggestions for repairs to other fire roads “to reduce run-off.”
I would like to nominate Town Landing Road to this list. While technically not a “fire road,” it is in serious disrepair. Ditches that were dug a few years ago are not serving their purpose, and continued run-off is clearly evident. Further, the Town should give serious consideration to closing the road permanently for boat access to the lake. Most boats are getting launched at other locations that have been built for this specific purpose, and the road has become a popular nighttime location for illegitimate activities. Closing this road would not affect any local businesses, as there are none in South China Village.
Closing Town Landing Road would serve to protect the Town’s most precious resource, China Lake. I hope town officials will consider this seriously. If that cannot be done, please add it to the repair list.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- LETTERS: How to control municipal spending
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take control of your future
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Times have changed
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Protect previous natural resource
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: It’s not hunting; it’s just killing
- Letters to the Editor: Are we on a path to national suicide?
- OPINION: Will Palermo choose the path of sustainability?
- LETTERS: Sports group seeks volunteers
- LETTERS: Like rats jumping from a sinking ship
- LETTERS: High or low?