To the editor:
Thank you to Roland Hallee for his recent article “The unfair resources of today’s ‘great game hunter.’” In it he points out tools available to today’s deer hunters such as deer urine scent, GPS devices, artificial callers, computers, and high-powered rifle scopes. Deer hunting is perhaps the most traditional hunting engaged in, in Maine. It still largely requires hunting skills.
Moose, bear and coyote hunting, on the other hand cannot be called hunting. Moose are killed during Maine’s moose hunt while they simply stand there in clearcuts looking at the “hunters.” The only skill moose “hunters” need to possess is the ability to drive a vehicle on woods roads and look for the moose that stand along the roadsides.
Bears are fed and trained to come into feeding stations where they are ambushed by “hunters.” They are also chased by packs of radio-collared dogs until they climb a tree or can run no more. The “hunters” track them via radio signals while driving their trucks and then shoot them while they are either treed or are surrounded by the dogs.
Coyotes are also run down by dogs and are also fed at feeding stations and are shot both day and night when they come in to eat.
There is virtually no such thing as “fair chase” when it comes to killing wildlife. This is neither sport nor hunting. It is just killing.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- LETTERS: How to control municipal spending
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take control of your future
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Times have changed
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Protect previous natural resource
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Close Town Landing Road
- Letters to the Editor: Are we on a path to national suicide?
- LETTERS: To prevent false rumors
- OPINIONS – Question 1: No vote will protect our children and everyone’s health
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: LD594 easy pathway for retirement savings
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Humidity linked to spreading of flu