submitted by Harriet Bryant
In observance of April as Children and Youth Month, members of the Tardiff-Belanger American Legion Auxiliary, Unit #39, Madison, donated backpacks filled with essential items such as clothes, pj’s, toothpaste, toothbrushes and other toiletries, hats, mittens, hygiene products for the older children and toys. Included this year are many socks from their “Drive-Thru Sock Hop” which was held back in February.
These items benefit the children who will enter the Department of Health and Human Services System. Most children enter with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. These backpacks provide them with items they can call their own in hopes that it makes the transition a little easier for them. This year, with the generous donations of items from the membership and the Auxiliary purchases, the Auxiliary donated over $800 worth of items which included 25 backpacks for this program.
To learn more about the American Legion Auxiliary’s mission or to volunteer, donate or join, visit www.ALAforveterans.org www.mainelegionpost39.org. Or contact Robin Turek, president – American Legion Auxiliary Tardiff-Belanger Unit #39, PO Box 325, Madison, ME 04950, or firstname.lastname@example.org – 696-8289.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Legion collecting school supplies in MSAD #59 and #74
- May 28 is National Poppy Day
- Auxiliary observes Military Child Month
- Madison drive-through sock hop big success
- Drive thru sock hop in Madison
- Madison legion donates boots and coats
- Legion auxiliary pie sale a great success, raises over $1,000
- Madison Legion Auxiliary donates school supplies to seven schools
- American Legion collecting school supplies
- 2020 Memorial Day parade canceled; other activities still planned