On September 29, a Quilt of Valor was presented to George McKenney, 89, of Palermo, by Clayton York, commander of American Legion Post #163, of Palermo, and Mary Haskell, treasurer of the Ladies Auxiliary to Post #163.
Darleen Potter made the quilt and Charlene Mosher volunteered to “long arm quilt” the finished quilt.
Several weeks ago, Bryan and Darleen Potter contacted Mary Haskell and asked if she could choose someone from Palermo to deciate a Quilt of Valor. She immediately thought of McKenney, and the work began.
The quilt is dedicated to McKenney as a thank you for his service during the Korean War. Many family members, legion and auxiliary members attended.
The Quilt of Valor Foundation is an organization that began in 2003. The purpose of which is to award quilts to veterans in the United States. These quilts are to say “thank you for their service, sacrifice and valor in serving our nation in combat.”
The quilts presented to veterans during this month of September is 1,250; and the total number of quilts awarded to date is 228,767 nationwide.
McKenney’s quilt is the first awarded by Post #163.
Visit the QOVF.org website for more information. McKenney’s quilt is registered with the foundation.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Sharon Nichols steps down from Palermo Community Library Board of Trustees
- Palermo Community Garden seeks seed money grant
- Order fresh, sweet citrus, now!
- Time to order citrus fruit
- Various broadband initiatives across Maine to provide improved access
- Transformation Project
- Another year of outstanding water quality at Sheepscot
- Volunteers firefighters to hold Picnic in Palermo
- Palermo VFD receives gift from women’s extension group
- Palermo library board’s Christmas in July meeting held