Donna Pullen, a 51-year veteran school bus driver for RSU #18 Messalonskee School Department was treated to a surprise retirement party by her fellow bus drivers and supervisors recently. She plans to retire at the end of this school year.
Pullen began her employment in the nutrition department at the school. She was asked several times to become a bus driver, but she always responded that she could not drive a bus. However, in 1967, after many requests, she began her driving career.
“She has gone through three generations of kids,” according to Lennie Goff, Transportation Director of RSU #18. “She drove summer trips and has not stopped,” he said.
“Donna has always had the perfect words at the perfect time to help me feel better about myself when I began as transportation coordinator almost four years ago,” Shannon Bizier said.
Pullen, who resides in Oakland, has been very active in her community affairs. She has served as a public servant, worked on the budget committee, and served on the Fire Department Auxiliary. She was also named Driver of the Year in 2015. “Donna has gone above and beyond,” Goff said.
Mike Perkins, State Representative presented her with a Legislative Sentiment from the 128th Legislature at the celebration. Perkins is also Safety Officer of RSU 18.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Global school play day at RSU #18
- RSU #18 gifted and talented hard at work
- Empty Bowls Fundraiser at Messalonskee High School
- Unsung heroes: our amazing school librarians
- New school store provides learning experience at MMS
- Allowing community voice to define school success
- Cash cashes in with two home runs
- Superintendent satisfied with China schools condition
- Instructional coaching important part of RSU #18
- Where are they now? Oakland’s Nick Mayo integral part of Eastern Kentucky basketball