Some weeks I could probably get into trouble if it wasn’t for the full crew of “Keepers” in my world. I’ll admit some of the things I have an interest in others just shake their heads; I enjoy living in a continued childhood even if it is only in my head. Books for children can be very interesting and I have found things in their books that I did not know. It’s all fun.
This week I was looking at the National Geographic KIDS Almanac 2014. There was a caption on the front, “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Everything!”
Animal Myths Busted:
Adult opossums do not hang by their tails. (I haven’t seen any up here but I did in Florida.)
Porcupines do not shoot their quills. (but they sure can put a hurt on a dog!)
How about “Elephants are afraid of mice.” Myth!
I read that the elephant’s eyesight is so bad they would never even see a mouse!
Another myth, one I hadn’t heard was that goldfish only have a three second memory. (imagine that test!!) I can tell you from experience they can remember who will feed them and when they expect it. I saw it in person as grandson’s fish knows son-in-law is the feeder. The fish swims to whichever direction son-in-law is walking in the kitchen.
And yet another myth:
“Bulls charge when they see red.” (They prefer VISA!) Sorry, I couldn’t resist! It was never the color of the bull fighter’s cape, it was actually the motion.
How about the myth “eating carrots improves your eyesight.” That was a hoax in World War II. British soldiers claimed to have excellent night vision because they consumed carrots. The carrot bit was used to confuse Germans. It was to take their attention away from British radar.
Okay, so much for all that stuff.
Last week I printed “A TEST for OLD KIDS” and I promised the answers would be here this week. I am sure you are anxiously awaiting the answers! (If you missed The Test you can find it online here.) For all others the answers follow:
01. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
02. The Ed Sullivan Show
03. On Route 66
04. To protect the innocent.
05. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
06. The limbo
08. Louis Armstrong
09. The Timex watch
10. Freddy, The Freeloader and ‘Good Night and God Bless.’
11. Draft cards (Bras were also burned. Not flags, as some have guessed)
12. Beetle or Bug
13 Buddy Holly
I am, as usual, just curious! I would love to hear how you made out!! Contact me with questions or comments at email@example.com. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to look over The Town Line.
- I’m Just Curious: Interesting facts?
- I’m Just Curious: What were you doing?
- I’m Just Curious: “Sayings” and “Fixes”
- I’m Just Curious: A test for old kids
- I’m Just Curious: Shoe facts to keep you on your toes
- I’m Just Curious: Medieval times?
- I’m Just Curious: Facts about food
- I’m Just Curious: I think it’s interesting
- I’m Just Curious: I just didn’t know!
- I’m Just Curious: Love those T-shirts