The descendants of the Davidson Family have enjoyed a camp on China Lake for five generations. Their property was purchased in the early 1900s from the original settler, Rufus Jones. Like many properties on China Lake, theirs slopes toward the lake. On the lakeside of their property they maintain a thick lawn at least three inches or more tall that has other natural vegetation growing. They have chosen to only cut that lawn once or twice a year to help protect the lake.
Also, because they have a dog, they make sure to pick up all the pet waste so it will not affect the lake quality. At the lake’s edge, their effective buffer is full of tall trees, native shrubs, ground cover and leaves and pine needles. With the entire buffer, they still enjoy a nice view of the lake.
If you would like a free LakeSmart visit from a volunteer to see what you can do to protect the lake, please contact Marie Michaud at ChinaLakeSmart@gmail.com or 207-2020240.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Scaled back Memorial Day observances in central Maine
- Managing lands for high quality water: Kennebec Water District’s watershed management
- Memorial Day parade canceled
- Pandemic casualty: China Dine-ah closing permanently
- South China’s Al Kramer to celebrate 100th birthday May 21
- Les Ames, remembered as family man, decorated veteran, community leader
- China group organizing gardeners to support local food pantry
- Despite fewer volunteers, longer hours, local food pantries soldier on
- China Region Lakes Alliance delays summer employment process
- Local church adapts with lakeside, car side Easter service