NewsCenter Maine, Channel 6, makes 45th annual presentation
News Center Maine has announced that Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area, has been named this year’s winner of the 6 Who Care Agency of Distinction award.
For the past 45 years, Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area has provided free, confidential, one-on-one literacy instruction to adults. By working with adults who have never learned to read, those where English is a second language and teaching parents how to help with their child’s reading skills, Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area is helping to create successful families.
Who Care is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to honor volunteers and agencies making a difference in our community. These volunteers could be neighbors or friends of yours. They build, they teach, and they inspire. They are people that go about their day never expecting a thank you for the things they do.
NEWS CENTER Maine partners with United Way of Greater Portland and our sponsors, TD Bank and Dead River Company, to honor the volunteers who see a need in our communities and fill it with care and dedication.
This is the 20th anniversary of 6 Who Care. 140 winners have been able to allocate their grant winnings to local nonprofits throughout Maine.
NEWS CENTER Maine’s 2019 6 Who Care winners have been selected. Our Board of Governors had the difficult task of choosing the winners from a group of volunteers that are all helping to make Maine communities better places.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Don Plourde named CMGC’s 2021 Developer of the Year
- Katie Brann named emerging leader of the year by CM Growth Council
- Lions Club holds successful food drive
- PHOTO: Waterville advances
- Children’s book author to hold book signing at Retail Therapy in Waterville
- Waterville StoryWalk to launch on North Street Community Connector Trail: Daniel Finds a Poem
- PHOTOS: Opening day for Waterville youth football
- Chamber hosts re-vamped Super Raffle dinner
- Kringleville volunteers
- Mosaic workshop to be held on Sept. 13 for grieving children