NewsCenter Maine, Channel 6, makes 45th annual presentation
News Center Maine has announced that Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area, has been named this year’s winner of the 6 Who Care Agency of Distinction award.
For the past 45 years, Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area has provided free, confidential, one-on-one literacy instruction to adults. By working with adults who have never learned to read, those where English is a second language and teaching parents how to help with their child’s reading skills, Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area is helping to create successful families.
Who Care is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to honor volunteers and agencies making a difference in our community. These volunteers could be neighbors or friends of yours. They build, they teach, and they inspire. They are people that go about their day never expecting a thank you for the things they do.
NEWS CENTER Maine partners with United Way of Greater Portland and our sponsors, TD Bank and Dead River Company, to honor the volunteers who see a need in our communities and fill it with care and dedication.
This is the 20th anniversary of 6 Who Care. 140 winners have been able to allocate their grant winnings to local nonprofits throughout Maine.
NEWS CENTER Maine’s 2019 6 Who Care winners have been selected. Our Board of Governors had the difficult task of choosing the winners from a group of volunteers that are all helping to make Maine communities better places.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- New Dimensions FCU announces results of Cruisin’ for a Cure car show
- Sam Fegel achieves Eagle Scout status
- Taste of Waterville Brew Punch Cards available
- Mid-Maine Chamber names vice president of operations
- Troop #417 member earns Eagle Scout status
- New Dimensions FCU named as one of Forbes’ Best-In-State credit unions in 2021
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mid-Maine receives $10K grant to support program
- New Dimensions FCU supporting their community
- AYCC parking lot work to continue through summer
- PHOTO: Waterville tennis team captures northern Maine title