Dr. Herland joins Northern Light Inland staff

Jonathan Herland,, MD

Northern Light Inland Hospital welcomes Jonathan Herland, MD, an interventional pain management specialist.

Dr. Herland earned his medical degree at the University of Massa­chu­setts Medical School. His residency was in anesthesiology dat Massachu­setts General Hospital followed by a pain management fellowship at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.

Dr. Herland received his bachelor’s degree in applied biology at M.I.T. His interest in human capabilities led him to earn a Doctor of Science in exercise physiology at Boston University. His dissertation investigated the effects of endurance training on fat metabolism in middle-age and elderly people. His post-doctoral research at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School focused on effects of anesthetics on heart muscle.

He moved to Maine in 2000 where he now focuses on providing interventional pain management to underserved rural communities like Waterville and Pittsfield.

For more information please call Andrea Donadio, manager, at 207-861-7050.

Samuel Bernier earns Eagle Scout rank

Sam’s mother, pins the Eagle Scout medal on her son’s chest during the ceremony. (contributed photo)

by Chuck Mahaleris

Family and friends, along with local officials, gathered at the Waterville Lodge #33, on County Road, for the presentation of Scouting’s highest honor, the Eagle Scout rank, to Samuel K. Bernier during a ceremony held on December 14.

Bernier, 15, is the son of Daniel and Jen Bernier, attends Waterville High School as a sophomore.

This past summer, Sam led his Eagle Scout project for the Waterville Community Land Trust. Bernier and a group of Scouts and other volunteers established a community park on the banks of the Kennebec River which required hours of site preparation, planting and erosion control. What was the most difficult part of the project? Sam replied, “Doing a lot of work when it was really hot was hard. Dealing with things that were out of my control like weather and weeds was also difficult. Planting 91 plants in two new gardens was a hot, difficult job. Not all of the plants did well at first. Slugs damaged some of the plants in the Woodland Garden. Transporting water to the site was not an easy job but we ended up with a lot of rain and that helped.”

Christopher “Montawagon” Bernier, left, of the Bomazeen Bushcraft program presents a tomahawk to Eagle Scout Sam Bernier. They are not related. (contributed photo)

He also pointed to unexpected challenges with aggressive Japanese Knot Weed, invasive roses, and scrubby weeds. The most surprising part? “I was surprised that so many people were so willing to donate money for materials and plants,” Sam said. “These donations allowed me and my team to focus on the two gardens instead of fundraising.”

State Senator Scott Cyrway, a former Scout leader himself, presented a Legislative Sentiment introduced in the House by Repres­entatives Bruce White and Colleen Madigan, and by himself in the Senate.

Camp Boma­zeen’s Bushcraft Director Christopher “Monta­gawon” Bernier (no relation), of Winslow, presented Bernier with a tomahawk.

Watervlle City Councilor for Ward 1 Mike Morris and a representative from U.S. Senator Susan Collins also made presentations.

Bruce Rueger, Sam’s Scoutmaster, served as master of ceremonies and said, “Sam is an outstanding Scout. He truly personifies the Scout Oath and Law. You can see the positive impact Scouting has had on this young man who has been in the program since he was a Tiger Cub (Kindergarten).”

When not involved in Scouting, Sam enjoys swimming and is a member of the Mid-Maine Dolphins and the Waterville High School swim program. He is also an avid hiker. This past summer he was able to put both of those interests to use along with Scouting when he worked at Camp Bomazeen, in Belgrade, as a lifeguard and Day Camp volunteer.

Up and down the Kennebec Valley: Library series conclusion

Old Winslow Library

by Mary Grow

Vassalboro, Waterville, Winslow

There is no evidence that the Town of Vassalboro had a public library before 1909, when the ancestor of the present lively institution was founded.

The 1909 association’s bylaws give it two names, the Free Public Library Association of Vassalboro, d/b/a Vassalboro Library Association. The library has always been in East Vassalboro, and the bylaws say it must remain there.

According to an essay by Elizabeth “Betty” Taylor in Bernhardt and Schad’s Vassalboro anthology, Eloise A. Hafford organized Vassalboro’s Library Association, getting advice from the Maine State Library and providing the association’s constitution.

Then, Taylor wrote, “she disappeared from the records.” Her name was crossed off the list of members in 1910.

Intrigued, Taylor did research that identified Hafford, born Sept. 30, 1860, in Massachusetts, as an early pastor at the East Vassalboro Friends Church. She was a high-school and university teacher for many years, and by 1930 was in California doing public health work, at one time serving as executive secretary of the Southern California Society for Control of Syphilis. She died in 1938.

The first Vassalboro library building was a converted summer cottage on South Stanley Hill Road, on a small lot donated by George Cates, south of the Friends Meeting House. The cottage was a gift of the Kennebec Water District and in 1914 was hauled across China Lake “on skids by four teams of horses,” according to a Jan. 25, 1971, newspaper article at the Vassalboro Historical Society.

The single-story building was about 500 feet square, according to another source. Everett Coombs built bookshelves early in 1915. Madeline Cates was Vassalboro librarian from 1910 to 1948. When the Library Association was inactive during the Depression, she continued to open it one day a week without pay, and her husband Percy provided fuel without charge.

In the 1950s, Taylor and Mildred Harris took the lead in reviving the library.

The wooden building and the book collection burned in 1979. Taylor, who was librarian for more than three decades, was again a leader in obtaining replacement books after the fire.

Vassalboro Public Library (photo: vassalboro.net)

In 1980, the library reopened in its current home, a single-story brick building at 930 Bog Road, on the west side of the village. An addition in 2000 on the back (north side) doubled the size of the building.

The Vassalboro Library receives significant town funding every year, but donations are always welcome, and are tax-deductible.

Vassalboro has at least one of the libraries in boxes described in last week’s essay. It is on the south side of the Olde Mill complex in North Vassalboro, facing Oak Grove Road, identified by the word “BOOKS” across the top.

In Waterville, the first library was started before Waterville became a town, never mind a city, according to Estelle Foster Eaton’s chapter in Whittemore’s 1902 history.

Waterville was separated from Winslow on June 23, 1802. Eaton wrote that eight months earlier, Reuben Kidder (a member of the 1801 committee chosen to petition the legislature to make Waterville a separate town) had bought 117 books from Boston bookseller Caleb Bingham, for $162.65 (with a 10 percent discount).

Waterville Public Library

(Caleb Bingham [April 15, 1757-April 6, 1817] was an educator, textbook writer and publisher as well as a bookseller. An on-line article by Encyclopedia Britannica editors says he directed Boston’s public library for two years without pay; donated many books to the library in his home town of Salisbury; and helped other New England town libraries. His bookstore was a gathering place for Boston teachers and liberal Jeffersonian politicians and “a focal point of agitation for free public schools.”)

The books were mostly non-fiction, Eaton wrote. Exceptions she listed were The Beggar Girl and A Fool of Quality, each in three volumes. (Welsh novelist Anna or Agnes Maria Bennett’s The Beggar Girl and Her Benefactors was published in 1797; Irish writer Henry Brooke’s The Fool of Quality was published between 1765 and 1779, originally in five volumes.)

The books reached Waterville Nov. 18, 1801. Although Kidder had ordered them in the name of the “Winslow Library,” they were labeled as belonging to “The Waterville Social Library.”

Eaton could not determine how long the library lasted, but the books ended up with Abijah Smith, one of the people who signed a note to help Kidder pay for them. Smith let the Sons of Temperance use them when that organization started a short-lived library (Eaton gave no dates).

Kingsbury wrote in his 1892 Kennebec County history that the Waterville division of the Sons of Temperance was organized Nov. 27, 1845, reorganized in 1858 and still flourishing in 1892.

In 1902, Eaton wrote, a Smith descendant owned relevant documents and, apparently, books; she wrote that when the new public library building was completed, he wanted the remainder of the Waterville Social Library to “find [a] fitting home within its walls.”

The present library organization dates from 1896, the present building from 1902.

According to Eaton and Kingsbury, there were other predecessors besides the Waterville Social Library.

Eaton lists two bookstore-based “circulating libraries.” William Hastings, who was a printer and the publisher of the Waterville Intelligencer newspaper (see The Town Line, Nov. 26, 2020) as well as a bookseller, offered “well-selected books” from 1826 to 1828. Around 1840 Edward Mathews started lending books from his bookstore; he sold the library to Charles K. Mathews, who continued it until 1874.

The Waterville Woman’s Association, founded in 1887, by 1892 had a library of 400 volumes, Kingsbury wrote, “from which 100 books are taken weekly.” (The Woman’s Association was mentioned in the Nov. 11 The Town Line.)

Eaton made the Waterville Library Association, founded in March 1873, sound like the most important predecessor of the present library. She listed the founders by initials only, except for President Solyman Heath; apparently they were all men, although Kingsbury mentioned “the cooperation of a few spirited ladies.” Association membership was $3 a year; dues were used to buy books.

The directors of the Ticonic Bank gave the library space in the bank building for 26 years, and the library was nicknamed the Bank Library, according to Eaton. A. A. Plaisted (the Waterville history’s index lists many entries for A. A. Plaisted, Aaron Plaisted and Aaron Appleton Plaisted) was librarian, “assisted within the last few years by the Misses Helen and Emily Plaisted, Miss Helen Meader and Miss Elden, now Mrs. Mathews.”

In 1892, Kingsbury wrote, the library had 1,500 books and about 30 members.

Meanwhile, a movement for a free public library began. In 1883, Eaton wrote, former resident William H. Arnold willed to the town (Waterville did not become a city until January 23, 1888) $5,000 for a public library, conditional on the town matching the gift. The town did not, and Arnold’s heirs got the $5,000.

In 1896, Lillian Hallock Campbell spent early February visiting more than 50 women to ask them to help start a free public library. On Feb. 13, the Waterville Library Association organized, with an all-female list of officers, though some men were interested in Campbell’s project.

(The first president was Mrs. Willard B. Arnold, sister-in-law of the late William H. Arnold. Her husband, the first of five generations of Willard Bailey Arnolds, founded the W. B. Arnold Company, a Waterville hardware store that closed in the 1960s.)

“Public interest was aroused,” Eaton wrote, and business leaders, including W. B. Arnold, donated generously. On March 25, another meeting organized the Waterville Free Library Association, with Mayor Edmund F. Webb president, ex officio, and a mainly male group of officers and trustees (though Lillian Campbell, Mrs. Arnold and Annie Pepper were among the dozen trustees, as was Colby College professor and future president Arthur J. Roberts).

Library supporters began collecting books and money immediately; an April 7, 1896, public notice requested donations. Books were first circulated out of Harvey Doane Eaton’s law office (he was the husband of Estelle Foster Eaton who wrote the library chapter). A five-member book selection committee recommended initial purchases.

The library formally opened Aug. 22, 1896, in a room “in the Plaisted Block.” It moved to the Haines Building in 1898. Agnes M. Johnson was the first librarian.

Eaton wrote that by May 1902 the original 433 books had become 3,088. Circulation for the year ending May 16 was 20,692. Fiction circulation had declined, but “reference work in connection with the schools” was increasing.

Funds came from individual donations; from the City of Waterville, which increased its $500 a year to $1,000 in 1902; and from the State of Maine, whose annual $50 was “supposed to cover the running expenses; although as a matter of fact it has not,” Eaton said.

After the free library opened, interest in the membership-supported Waterville Library Association declined. Eaton wrote that its 1,500 books were donated to the Woman’s Association in 1900.

The earlier reference to a pending new building foreshadowed the 1902 construction of the main part of the present Elm Street building, with a $20,000 Carnegie Foundation grant. The library’s website describes the building’s architectural style as Richardson Romanesque, similar to other area libraries in Augusta, Clinton and Fairfield. The architect was William R. Miller of Lewiston, who also designed Fairfield’s Lawrence Library (see The Town Line, Nov. 11).

The building is of brick with granite trim. The original entrance on Elm Street is approached by wide granite steps leading to three arches, and the typical tower rises beside the entrance, with a tall triple window below nine small square windows.

The original building has been renovated and expanded several times. A banner on the side of the building proclaims Waterville Public Library a “2017 Winner National Medal for Museum and Library Service.”

New Winslow Library

This writer has failed to find a comprehensive history of Winslow’s public library, located since the late 1980s in a handsomely-converted former roller-skating rink at 136 Halifax Street. The town web page identifies the current library as a department of the town, with a board of trustees.

For at least part of the time between 1905 and 1927, the library was on the east side of Lithgow Street, in the north end of a single-story clapboard building it shared with the town office. Historian Jack Nivison wrote that the building was between the 1926 library and the Congregational Church, set farther back from the street than they are.

A photograph shows a single-story building with a peaked roof. Above what looks like a paneled front door is a three-section semi-circular window, and above it, under the peak of the roof, a second similar one. Windows on either side have decorative shutters and window boxes.

A side door has a small rectangular window beside it. This door and two larger windows on the south side are topped with arched semicircles of what looks like stained glass.

The first librarian, Jennie Howard, served from 1905 to 1933 and was paid $52 a year. Nivison wrote that Howard was also a teacher and superintendent of schools.

The second recorded Winslow library building was built in 1926-27 on an adjoining lot donated by George Bassett, at a cost of $30,000 (the on-line source that says $3,000 must have dropped a zero).

The 1926-27 library is a two-story, flat-roofed brick building. A semi-circular columned portico the height of the building shelters an arched, glass-paneled front door. Above the columns are the words “Winslow Public Library.”

Two tall windows on the front have decorative medallions above them; the window on the south side is topped by a smaller arched window. The library now houses the Taconnett Falls Genealogy Library; its sign says it is open from 1 to 4, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

After the 1987 Kennebec River flood, the library moved to its Halifax Street home.

Nivison adds a second Winslow library with a limited clientele. He wrote that “there was a Library in the Taconnet Clubhouse, built in 1901-02. This library was open to all families who worked at H & W.”

H & W was the Hollingsworth & Whitney Paper Company mill, which operated from 1892 until, after two changes of ownership, 1997. The H & W Clubhouse also offered its employees use of pool tables, a bowling alley and a swimming pool, according to Wikipedia.

Main sources

Bernhardt, Esther, and Vicki Schad, compilers/editors, Anthology of Vassalboro Tales (2017).
Kingsbury, Henry D., ed., Illustrated History of Kennebec County Maine 1625-1892 (1892).
Whittemore, Rev. Edwin Carey, Centennial History of Waterville 1802-1902 (1902).

Personal conversations.
Websites, miscellaneous.

PHOTOS: Clauses visit Waterville area

Santa and Mrs. Claus travel to Winslow across the Waterville/ Winslow Bridge, following the Kringleville Annual Tree Lighting, in Waterville, on Saturday evening November 27. They had their elves on board, too! (photo by Tawni Lively/ Central Maine Photography)

Long journey completed

Santa checks on his reindeer following a long journey to Winslow, from the North Pole on Saturday evening, November 27. Families and children visited with the reindeer as Santa and Mrs. Claus came by. This was a special event coordinated by the Winslow Parks and Recreation Dept. (photo by Tawni Lively/ Central Maine Photography)

New Dimensions FCU gets large business award

Left to right, Sara Fifield, Bruce White, Terry Gagne, Darla Frost, Sharon Storti, Elizabeth Dixon, Jeanine Derosby, Ryan Poulin, Tammy Poissonnier, Lori Schmitz, Jason Michaud, Lee Breton, and Tanya Verzoni. (Contributed photo)

On November 4, 2021, CEO, Ryan Poulin, and his team at New Dimensions Federal Credit Union, in Waterville, humbly accepted Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce’s 2020 Large Business Award at the Enchanted Gables, on Hussey Hill Road, in Oakland.

Because of New Dimensions FCU’s mission, “Educate. Empower. Evolve.” applies to both the community and its staff, they work to ensure the growth of membership and employee retention are equally balanced. In 2020, they worked on that balance of achievements that awarded them the honor of receiving such a prestigious community award.

In 2020, New Dimensions positioned itself for growth, and innovation, by constructing a state-of-the-art main office located at 94 Silver Street, in Waterville. The building was designed to be as green as possible including solar energy, heat pumps, natural gas-heated hot water, and energy-efficient lighting. It was imperative to use local contractors and vendors in the construction.

After the move to Silver Street, NDFCU renovated its previous Grove Street location into an operations center, now known as the Digital Branch. With this, the Credit Union expanded its workforce by adding a call center that fields over 7,000 calls monthly.

During the pandemic, New Dimensions focused on retaining all employees and training some of them to assist members in a new capacity including processing numerous SBA PPP loans for businesses.

New Dimensions provides the latest technology to conduct personal and business banking and continues looking for updated, useful and reliable solutions in its products and services that will serve their members well. Board Chairman Jerome Allen states, “We want our members to choose “how” they conduct business with us. From paying for groceries with cell phones to applying for loans or opening accounts from the comfort of their home. But if the member wants to visit a branch, our team is happy to provide that type of personal service, too.”

Ryan Poulin asserts, “New Dimensions doesn’t want to offer just a job to someone, it wants to offer them a career where they can learn and reach their professional goals. NDFCU has staff dedicated to training and career advancement for every employee. This has helped to retain valued, seasoned employees.

Financial Education is one of the key pillars of New Dimensions. Dedicated staff are available to provide members with one-on-one financial counseling. Members can meet with staff to review their credit report and get tips on how to boost their scores, craft an effective household budget, and more. It takes its financial education lessons on the road to local businesses with their Eat, Learn and Prosper program, as free lunch-time classes for the businesses’ employees with lunch provided by NDFCU. Additionally, Financial Educators can be found in classrooms teaching students from Kindergarten through High School with age-appropriate lessons. Deciphering between needs versus wants, how to save money for future goals, and how to use credit responsibly are popular topics. NDFCU has been able to work with hundreds of students both in classroom and through Google Classroom when remote.

Additionally, NDFCU and be credited for its fundraising efforts including their popular Cruise for a Cure Care Show. Fundraising for Ending Hunger Maine, Maine’s Special Olympics and Children’s Cancer Program are also a priority. Similarly, staff members donated over 3,000 hours of their own time in 2020.

CEO Ryan Poulin further adds, “We are in the dream fulfillment business helping people make their dreams come true by giving them the tools they need to be successful.”

Don Plourde named CMGC’s 2021 Developer of the Year

Don Plourde

Central Maine Growth Council is pleased to present its annual 2021 Developer of the Year award to Don Plourde, broker and co-owner of Coldwell Banker Plourde Real Estate, in Waterville. The award was presented at Central Maine Growth Council’s Annual Meeting, sponsored by Central Maine Motors, Kennebec Savings Bank, MaineGeneral Health, New Dimensions Federal Credit Union, and Huhtamaki.

Don’s passion for developing central Maine through commercial real estate has been exemplified by his commitment to growing businesses and supporting economic and community development throughout the region. Beyond Don’s day-to-day real estate operations, his investments within the region, along Robert LaFleur Airport Business Park, and, most recently, acquiring two flagship buildings in downtown Waterville – 36 Main Street and 70 Main Street – have all made significant contributions to the local economy and will support further investment and new business development opportunities during an exciting period of redevelopment within the municipality.

“The city of Waterville is poised to continue its trend of revitalization and renaissance due to key private sector stakeholders like Don. Similarly, his commitment to regional betterment extends beyond development and associated business expansion and growth initiatives, but is equally reflected in community projects and the innumerable volume of new families and young professionals that have been welcomed into the area housing market, including throughout COVID-19, where Don has transitioned new rural remote workers and Maine ‘boomerangers’ across the country into our local economy,” stated Garvan Donegan, director of planning, innovation, and economic development for Central Maine Growth Council. “Don is a champion of the region and has pursued his projects in a dedicated fashion, encouraging a bright future for central Maine and its residents.”

The Winslow native opened Coldwell Banker Plourde in 1989, growing from a staff of two to more than 20 and counting in its 30 years of operation. Don serves on the Maine Real Estate Commission, where he previously served as the organization’s board chairman. His work in real estate development has laid the groundwork for welcoming new businesses and families to central Maine while contributing to a renewed quality of place throughout mid-Maine and beyond.

Don has served on several boards throughout central Maine, including Waterville Development Corp., Maine State Housing, Winslow Capital Planning Committee, and Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, where he served as the organization’s chairman in 1998. Acknowledging Plourde’s many years of community betterment and service, Don and Irene were recognized as the 2016 Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Community Service winners.

“I am humbled to receive such an honor from the Growth Council,” said Don. “Having the ability to contribute to the vitality and success of the region has been my life’s work, and I could not have done it without the support from the community and my family.”

Katie Brann named emerging leader of the year by CM Growth Council

Katie Brann

Central Maine Growth Council and KV Connect are pleased to present their 2021 Emerging Leader of the Year Award to Katie Brann, chairman of KV Connect, the young professionals’ group of mid-Maine, and Financial Advisor at Golden Pond Wealth Management, in Waterville. The award was presented at Central Maine Growth Council’s Annual Meeting celebration, sponsored by Central Maine Motors, Kennebec Savings Bank, MaineGeneral Health, New Dimensions Federal Credit Union, and Huhtamaki.

Katie has been involved with KV Connect since February of 2020, previously serving as the organization’s treasurer and marketing committee chairman, currently serving as chairman of the organization. A 2016 graduate of Boston University, Katie returned to her home state of Maine to pursue a career in financial services where she supports clients in comprehensive financial planning and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) investing. Katie received her Certified Financial Planning (CFP) designation in March of 2021. In addition to her leadership of KV Connect, Katie also serves on the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce’s Marketing and Membership committee and serves as the varsity field hockey coach at Messalonskee High School in Oakland.

“Katie embodies outstanding leadership, impact, and performance within the region’s emerging youth workforce and is continually working to create an environment to facilitate responsible investing, creativity, and innovation of young people to excel, develop, and grow. Working closely with Katie through KV Connect, her passion for the Kennebec Valley region shines through her organization of several community initiatives, including our Yoga in the Park and Pints with a Purpose series”, states Sabrina Jandreau, vice-chairman of KV Connect and development coordinator at Central Maine Growth Council. “Her drive and commitment to celebrating the region’s young professionals are a testament to her dedication for making mid-Maine an attractive location to live and work in.”

During a time of robust growth and development in central Maine, Katie’s stewardship has spotlighted KV Connect as an organization that champion’s connectivity through relationship building, community service, social media marketing, and placemaking initiatives, encouraging the continued retention and recruitment of young professionals to the region. At the forefront of KV Connect’s continued growth, Katie’s passion for cultivating opportunities for networking and development will sustain further expansion of the organization’s membership and encourage greater participation by young professionals throughout mid-Maine.

“Waterville is an incredible community and provides a compelling site profile for those who wish to enjoy the area’s eateries, diverse recreational opportunities, or start a business”, said Katie. “Having the opportunity to bridge the gap between young professionals and networking has provided KV Connect with the tools to showcase and celebrate all the region has to offer with those who are new to the area or are just starting out in their careers.”

PHOTO: Heading to state championship game

The Waterville Panthers football team is headed to the state 8-man large schools championship game on Sat., Nov. 13, vs Cheverus, at Fitzpatrick Stadium, in Portland. Front, Dustan Hunter. First row, from left to right, Wyatt Gracie, Spencer Minihan, William Place, Cobe LeClair, Tyson Smith, Adam Sirois, Julian Nebrowsky and Jarrod Cayford. Middle row, Pierce Delaware, Benjamin Foster, Dawson Harrison, Gage Hubbard, Dusty Bearce, Joel Retamozzo and Max Field. Back row, Brady Delaware, Brendan Beckwith, Coach Mike Hamel, Donovan Porter, Head Coach Isaac LeBlanc, Ethan Gilman, Liam VonOsen and Coach Kevin Acorn. Absent from photo, Volunteers coaches Ben Foster and Trafton Gilbert, Liam Pelotte and Griffin Pelotte. (photo by Kevin Giguere, Central Maine Photography)

The Waterville Panthers football team is headed to the state 8-man large schools championship game on Sat., Nov. 13, vs Cheverus, at Fitzpatrick Stadium, in Portland.

Lions Club holds successful food drive

Waterville Lions Club member Michelle Shores, right, with a volunteer worker display the many items donated to their annual food drive. (contributed photo)

The Waterville Lions Club held their 2nd Annual Drive Thru food drive on October 23. The response from the community was overwhelming, again. In addition to individual donations the following local businesses offered their support by gathering donations: GHM Insurance, the Maine Tourism Association and One River CPAs.

Because of everyone’s generous support the Lions were able to distribute supplies and cash donations to the Waterville Food Bank, St. John Church Food Pantry, in Winslow, and the Fairfield Interfaith Food Pantry. The Waterville Lions Club is a member of Lions Club International and is dedicated to serving the needs of the local community through service and fundraising efforts.

Those interested in becoming a member of the Waterville Lions Club should contact Membership Coordinator Jill Huard at 314-1039 or jhuard@surette-realestate.com. “Where there is a need, there is a Lion!”

PHOTO: Waterville advances

The Waterville Purple Panthers quarterback Liam Von Oesen with the carry during last Friday’s game vs. Mount Desert Island. The Panthers captured the win, 50-40, and will advance to the Regional North Large School 8-man football game this coming Saturday, November 6, versus Morse High School, of Bath. (photo by Kevin Giguere, Central Maine Photography)