The following students graduated from Bates College at the school’s 150th commencement ceremony on May 29.
Shaun Carroll, son of Mr. and Mrs. Shaun N. Carroll, of Clinton, graduated after majoring in history at Bates. He is a 2012 graduate of Lawrence High School, in Fairfield.
Lindsey Prelgovisk, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank G. Prelgovisk, of Oakland, graduated after majoring in art and visual culture at Bates. She is a 2012 graduate of Messalonskee High School, in Oakland.
Nicolas Margitza, son of Joyce A. Galea, of Winslow, graduated after majoring in philosophy at Bates. He is a 2012 graduate of Waterville Senior High School.
Bates College graduated 462 students from 32 states and 43 countries. Cumulatively, the Class of 2016 performed 17,500 hours of community service, exemplifying Bates’ commitment to community learning and civic action.
U.S. Rep. John Lewis, often called “one of the most courageous persons the civil rights movement ever produced,” delivered the address at Bates’ 150th commencement ceremony on May 29. In his speech, recounting his first meeting with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Lewis said that the great civil rights leader “inspired me to stand up, to speak up and speak out.” Lewis told the graduates, “You must find a way to get in the way and get in good trouble, necessary trouble. You have a moral obligation, a mission and a mandate, when you leave here, to go out and seek justice for all.”
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Area students earn dean’s list at University of Maine
- Shane Savage named CMGC developer of the year
- Local municipal offices set to re-open
- Nine area students on University of New Hampshire’s dean’s list
- Area Students Enroll at Colby College 2018
- Girl Scouts bake pies for dinner
- Area students on Husson University’s presidents list
- University of New Hampshire announces graduates
- Fairfield issues request for qualifications for public drinking water infrastructure planning project
- Waterville Creates to receive 2021 Excellence in Arts Advocacy award