It was a busy day at Raider’s Sugarhouse, on the Bog Brook Road, in China. That was because March 24 was Maine Maple Sunday across the state.
Gail and Doug Tibbetts own and operate the seasonal enterprise which began about 15 years ago as a family project. About six years ago, they decided to go commercial with their maple products.
“We’re one of only a few sugar houses that still bottle maple syrup in glass,” Gail emphasized during her presentation.
Doug explained the maple sap comes into the sugarhouse via tubing throughout the forest behind the operation, but also saying some of the sap has to be brought to the facility by mounting a barrel on the back of a snowmobile to access the maple sap that is located on a hill that is difficult to get to any other way. “By far, sugar maple trees are the best to tap,” he explained, saying they generally contained the highest amounts of sugar.
Once the season is past, they pack up the equipment, close down the shed, and wait for the sap run next year.
Locally, their products are available year-round at their 148 Bog Brook Rd., location (call ahead 968-2005), or at Tobey’s Grocery, Fieldstone Quikstop and LaVerdiere’s Market, at the head of the lake.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Just Our Jams raises money for local food pantry
- LakeSmart designation awarded to two China Lake residents
- Interviews with China Lake Association leadership; Goal is to educate, re-engage membership
- Prize Vegetable Contest & Children’s Best-Decorated Fruit or Vegetable Award
- Pauleys celebrate 65th anniversary
- 2021 Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) at work
- Maritime Energy president, Susan Ware Page, nominated for NEFI Legends Award
- Second vaccines available in China
- China Community Days set for this weekend
- 18th annual China Community Days set for Aug. 6-8, 2021