Students enrolled in Jobs for Maine Graduates (JMG), at Vassalboro Community School and the remainder of the student body, along with the help of advisor Victor Esposito, recently secured a grant from the Oak Grove Foundation to be used to build a gazebo near the public swimming area in North Vassalboro.
The intention was to help build community in Vassalboro and have a downtown center focus. Ray Breton, a local builder and philanthropist, who has been making a number of improvements to the downtown area, for both young people and adults, will be building the gazebo on his property that is located next to the downtown swimming area.
They were awarded a $4,000 grant from the Oak Grove Foundation, another $1,000 has been given by the Vassalboro Volunteer Fire Department, and $100 from AgMatters, in Vassalboro. There have also been smaller donations from individuals in town. McCormick Building Supply, in Winslow, is donating $2,000 in materials, and Mitchell Roofing, of Oakland, donated $500. The total cost to construct the gazebo is $9,000. If anyone is interested in helping meet the goal they should contact Ray Breton at 207-877-2005.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- VASSALBORO: Only one resident attends Longroad Energy hearing
- Vassalboro selectmen set tax rate for 2020-21 at 14.35 mils
- Vassalboro Capitol Hill Challenge team places third in nation
- Elvis fundraiser in Vassalboro
- LongRoad Energy to hold public informational meeting
- Vassalboro selectmen to set tax rate
- Vassalboro school board makes five decisions at meeting
- Vassalboro voters confirm school budget
- VASSALBORO: Energy application incomplete; action postponed
- Vassalboro Business Association (VBA) announces 2020 scholarship winners