An exciting new chapter will begin in the new year for Serena Sanborn, education and outreach coordinator at Waterville Creates!, as she has been accepted into the Maine Master Naturalist Program! The Maine Master Naturalist Program is a nonprofit volunteer-based enterprise that trains people to become citizen-naturalists.
The graduates of the Maine Master Naturalist Program help enrich nature education in Maine. The program is quite extensive, with 100 hours of in-depth training and more than 200 hours of practice as students learn about topics varying from Maine’s ecological systems to conservation biology, animals, geology, and more!
The program extends beyond graduation, with students promising to volunteer their time leading nature walks and sharing their knowledge, becoming part of a nexus of naturalists around the state, and having opportunities to continue learning about Maine’s natural world through advanced seminars. Upon her completion of this course, Serena has plans to expand on her already popular guided nature walks, share her knowledge through fun activities, and design even more programming around nature education.
“I am delighted not only to expand my knowledge and participate in this program, but also for all the opportunities that this will allow me to bring back to the Waterville community,” says Sanborn. “I have always been an advocate for citizen science, involvement with the outdoors, and the connections to art, so I’m thrilled and honored to be accepted into a program that focuses on something so dear to my heart.”
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- New Dimensions FCU donates over $11K during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Art scholarship available
- 2019-’20 Real Estate Tax Due Dates
- Singing Valentines
- New Dimension FCU welcomes new vice president of lending
- Mid-Maine Chamber to host “meet the reps”
- TOCmedia to host three new social-media marketing business-breakfast events
- Literacy Volunteers – Waterville Area awarded 6 Who Care Agency of Distinction
- Melissa Brugnani promoted to mortgage loan officer at Kennebec Federal Savings Bank, in Waterville
- Hallees celebrate 50th wedding anniversary