From Edward Lear, 1812-1888, the gifted poet of nonsense verse from London:
There was an Old Man of Three Bridges
Whose mind was distracted by midges;
He sate on a wheel, eating underdone veal,
Which relieved that Old Man of Three Bridges.
A record has been left of the first Thanksgiving in New England being held in Popham Colony on October 4, 1607, with local Native-American tribes who later survived the brutal Maine winter that year in the forest with better results than the colonists living by the coast. More info on Google and other sources.
Highly recommended listening, if not previously heard:
The first Bert and I mid-’50s release with speaker Marshall Dodge and Robert Bryan doing sound effects with his voice.
My favorite Jefferson Airplane album, After Bathing at Baxter’s, and still available on CD since its 1968 release. Its music has a sustained balance of ‘60s rock and beauty few others have maintained from then.
Conductor Eugene Ormandy, 1899-1985, led the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1938 to 1980 and left 900 or more recordings with it and more composers in them than all other conductors. His birthday anniversary is November 18. I highly recommend his recordings especially of Rachmaninoff’s music. The composer recorded HIS Piano Concertos 1, 3, and 4 with Ormandy and the 2nd one with Ormandy’s predecessor, Leopold Stokowski in 1929.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Soprano: Mirella Freni
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: The great pianists Peter and Rudolf Serkin
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Composer: Dmitri Shostakovich
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Gilbert and Sullivan Weekend
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Les Majorettes De Shawinigan
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: The Rainy Day
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Respighi: Fountains of Rome; Pines of Rome
- REVIEW POTPOURRI – Movie: The Highwaymen (2019)
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Handel’s Messiah, Frank De Vol and The Irishman
- REVIEW POTPOURRI: Some Christmas music!