This article is a reprint of one that appeared in China’s Connected newsletter.
Thurston Park is open in the winter! All trails are open and accessible by foot or snowmobile. The park is open dawn to dusk, seven days a week. The Yorktown Road is plowed to the top of the hill by the town of Albion. Parking is on the left just before you go down the hill. The rest of the way in may be plowed by one of the abutters. In that case, you can park just before the road heads into the woods on the left side of the road. Please do not park in the road or anywhere to the right as you will be blocking the abutter access.
All trails are open, and the composting toilets are available for use. There is no grooming or clearing of trails during the winter. Trails 1 and 2 have been cleansed of blow downs recently. Snowshoeing, cross country skiing, fat biking, and hiking are all options. Thurston Park is beautiful in the winter and all the waterfalls are currently running. Look out for deer, porcupines, fox, moose, many species of birds, and possibly beavers. Please remember to maintain social-distancing and have your mask available to put on if you meet people on the trail.
Maps are available at the town office or at the kiosk at the entrance to the park. They are also on the town website, http://www.facebook.com/ThurstonPark.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- New signs at China School’s Forest
- PHOTO: Didn’t get the memo
- 2021 China Four Seasons Club fishing derby winners
- China Four Seasons Club ice fishing derby enjoyed by many
- China neighborhood donates to school
- South China’s Fieldstone Quickstop under new ownership
- North loop closed at China School Forest
- China, Vassalboro get good news about trash disposal
- Local Town Meetings Schedule 2021
- Second annual ice fishing derby set for China Lake on February 14