Oakland American Legion busy with official ceremonies (2024)

Paying tribute

Oakland American Legion Post #51 paying tribute to the brave men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country, at Memorial Hall, during the Memorial Day parade on May 27. From left to right, Patrick Linehan, Colin Clifford, Brian King, Jeff Stevens, John Palmer and Sgt. at Arms Dave Germain.
(photo by Galen Neal, Central Maine Photography)

New flag & pole dedication

On May 14, members of American Legion Decker-Simmons Post #51 gathered with Legion Riders to dedicate a new flag and pole at veteran Brian Danforth’s home, on Fairfield St., in Oakland. The veterans who live there had lost their flag and pole during a windstorm this past winter. Legion Riders were notified, took action and replaced both the pole and flag. (photo by Wally McKenney)

Memorial Day observance

The rain stopped just in time for the American Legion Decker-Simmons Post #51 parade to get underway. With a ceremony to honor all who gave their lives at Lakeview Cemetery, Commander Jeffrey Flye gave a speech that was followed by the honor guard performing a rifle salute to the fallen. Left to right, Mark Spencer, Winslow VFW Commander Mike Dumont, Tina Zelberek, John Palmer, Jeff Stevens, Brian King, Colin Clifford, Jeffrey Flye, Patric Linehan, Winslow VFW Quartermaster Chris Soucy and Tom Dechaine. (photo by Wally McKenney)

Fundraiser

American Legion Riders of Post #51, in Oakland, recently held a fundraiser, hosting a Pebble Art class. There were 25 students who managed to raise $385 for veterans through donations and a 50/50 raffle. The members of Legion Riders were very pleased with the turnout. Overall, it was well-received, and everyone enjoyed themselves. Numerous attendees inquired about the next class, so they are looking into organizing another one soon. (photo by Wally McKenney)

Flag retirement

Photo by Wally McKenney

American Legion Decker-Simmons Post #51 Oakland, with Grover-Hinckley Post #14, held a ceremony retiring many U.S. flags. A moment of silence was observed for the 80th anniversary of the 153,000 men who lost their lives on D-Day. Above, Post #51 Commander Jeffrey Flye begins disposal process.

Photo by Wally McKenney

If anyone has a flag that is faded, tattered, or torn you can bring the flag to any American Legion Post to have it properly disposed.

ShineOnCass Foundation 2024 scholarship recipients

by Monica Charette

The ShineOnCass Foundation recently presented three scholarships, totaling $6,000, to local seniors who make service and kindness part of their everyday life.

The 9th Annual ShineOnCass Memorial Scholarship in Memory of Cassidy Jean Charette was presented to Brayden Perry of Oakland. Perry will receive a $4,000 scholarship to Merrimack College, where he is pursuing a career in nursing. The scholarship, started by Charette’s Messlaonskee Class of 2016, is open to only Messalonskee High School students. Funding is dispersed annually after recipients demonstrate completion of 20 hours of service work each year.

The first ShineOnCass Community Scholarship, created to recognize service-focused seniors living in Winslow, Waterville, Lawrence, or Messalonskee school districts, was determined by the selection committee to be a tie, so the Foundation decided to present two, $1,000 awards. Scholarships were presented to Hallie Firmage, Lawrence High School senior, who will attend Brigham Young University; and to Emma Jane-Parsons, from Messalonskee High School, who will be attending Wheaton College.

Both scholarships were created in honor and memory of Cassidy Charette, a longtime volunteer in the central Maine community and former Messalonskee student, who died in a hayride accident in 2014. The ShineOnCass Foundation awards over $10,000 in local scholarships every year supporting higher education, aspiring young violinists, youth soccer, children attending summer farm camps, and other awards recognizing youth service and kindness.

To learn more about scholarship opportunities offered by the ShineOnCass Foundation, visit shineoncass.org.

Albion gold cane presented to Donna Bessey

Donna Bessey

On May 31, 2024, Donna Bessey received the Town of Albion’s Boston Post Cane, recognizing her as its oldest citizen at age 95. Albion Selectman Paul Flynn gave a brief history of the Boston Post Cane before presenting her with the cane and a plaque. Also representing the town were Selectmen Michael Gardner and Jason Dow, as well as State Senator Scott Cyrway and Town Clerk Jeannie Doore. Many friends were also present to celebrate the occasion.

Donna moved to Albion in 1949 when she married Leland Bessey. They met while attending Thomas College, in Waterville. Together, they had a successful dairy farm in Albion for many years. In addition to helping on the farm, Donna also worked in various secretarial/bookkeeping capacities in the area – for example, at North Wayne Tool Company, in Oakland, and for the District #3 Superintendent of Schools.

After selling the farm, Leland worked for the U .S. Postal Service, in Albion, and Donna continued to work in the school department. She eventually retired from H.L. Keay’s store, in Albion, in 1992. Donna and Leland enjoyed a wonderful retirement together, celebrating 74 years of marriage, until Leland’s passing in March 2024. As an avid animal lover with a great sense of humor, Donna expressed her secret to longevity as simply “Wag more, bark less”.

EVENTS: Rotary District Conference coming to Waterville June 21–23, 2024

This year Rotary District #7790 will host the three-day district conference in Waterville. The conference will bring many first-time visitors to the city, all to support District Governor Tina Chapman. Waterville supports two Rotary clubs, the Waterville Sunrise Club and the Waterville Noon Club, which is Tina’s home club.

The conference will highlight many of the community projects that local Rotary clubs and Rotary International support while highlighting all Waterville and the surrounding area has to offer. The clubs that are a part of District #7790 range from Augusta to Presque Isle, and even reaches up into Québec. The district is one of the few in the country to be bi-lingual and covers area in more than one country.

Two cultures, two languages, two countries, one Rotary District. Highlights of the conference include interactive activities that highlight our local region, tastings of a few favorite restaurants, and speakers on multiple subjects focusing mostly on mental health. Other activities include a Summer Garden party, at Colby College, a House of Friendship to meet members of other clubs, and a featured film at the Maine Film Center. This year’s theme is Hope in Action.

The keynote speaker is filmmaker and motivational speaker, Kevin Hines. Hines is a bestselling author, global public speaker, and award-winning documentary filmmaker. In the year 2000, Kevin attempted to take his life by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Many factors contributed to his miraculous survival including a sea lion which kept him afloat until the Coast Guard arrived. Kevin now travels the world sharing his story of hope, healing, and recovery while teaching people of all ages the art of wellness and the ability to survive pain with true resilience.

Kevin’s documentary Suicide: The Ripple Effect will be shown at the Maine Film Center, 93 Main Street, in Waterville, and is open to the public as well as his Keynote Presentation. Tickets for the film and presentation are available now on the district’s website at https://portal.clubrunner.ca/50110/clubdirectory.

For more information on the Waterville Rotary clubs, the conference, or the keynote presentation visit watervillerotary.com.

Law enforcement memorial service held in Augusta

Salute by Maine State Troopers. (photo by Mark Huard)

by Mark Huard

Maine’s law enforcement members who lost their lives in the line of duty were honored on Tuesday, May 14.

The annual observance at the Maine Law Enforcement Officers Memorial was held in Augusta at the granite memorial near the State Capitol, and dedicated to the fallen officers that were killed in the line of duty.

The memorial has the names of 88 law enforcement officers, some dating back to the 1800s. Officers from across the state, families of the fallen, and other special speakers including Governor Janet Mills.

“We grieve the loss of friends, family, and neighbors taken from us through this violence. May we also pause in solemn gratitude that we need not add another name for this memorial today,” said Mills during her address. “As district attorney, as a private attorney, as your attorney general, and now as your governor, please know that I see the unexpected risks that each of you take when you report to duty every day. I see the sacrifice of your loved ones, waiting to know if you will come home safely. And I see the spirit of our fallen officers embodied in your commitment to serve our community and to keep this state the safest place in the nation to live, work, and raise a family.”

Despite all the differences fallen officers hold in their stories, Mills united them under one principle: “A principle that governed how they upheld the law, a promise to practice integrity, fairness, respect, and compassion in the 1,000 daily acts they performed on behalf of the Maine people. As they patrolled our roads, guarded our cities and towns, our woods, lakes, bays, and skies, always ready for that one urgent call that may mean the difference between life and death.”

Maine State Troopers honor their fallen comrades. (photo by Mark Huard)

Whitefield Lions Club honors six area students (2024)

The Whitefield Lions Club has recognized six local graduating seniors. These students will receive a $1,000 scholarship towards furthering their education. Each year the Whitefield Lions Club Scholarship Committee chooses among deserving applicants based on hard work, perseverance, leadership, community service and career goals.

This year the club is proud to recognize six outstanding individuals. Caliegh Crocker, of Windsor, attending Husson University Nursing program, Carson Hallowell, of Jefferson, to attend EMCC Plumbing program, Nolan Burgess, of Whitefield, attending UMO for Education, Reese Sullivan, of Windsor, attending Husson University studying forensic science, Tara Hanley, of Vassalboro, attending UMO to become a dietitian, and Abigail Kopp, of Jefferson, attending Endicott College majoring in Exercise Science with the plan of attending graduate school for Physical Therapy.

VETERANS CORNER: Excellent news in regards to several Veterans VA cases

Veterans Administration facility at Togus. (Internet photo)

by Gary Kennedy

Well, for all of you who follow Julie and me, we have returned home safe and sound. I noticed the past issue of the The Town Line, my old friend Peter Garrett was honored with a nature trail being memorialized in his name. He has always been a true nature lover and great Rotarian. He certainly deserves to be recognized for his love of Maine in all aspects. I was very pleased to see the article and seeing my friend looking so well. The Town Line always tends to showcase the best of us. Perhaps someday even me.

Julie and I had a very successful journey to S.E. Asia. Until the very end, the temperature remained comfortable. We came home this month and the temperature had a bad streak of 103°-106°F. I can’t tolerate those temperatures. I was anxious to leave and come home. We always leave wishing we could have done more but our means are limited. Julie and I were honored with plaques and certificates as well as simple “thank you very much”, what more do you need?

Always during this time I start dreaming of lobster, scallops and clams. There is nothing in the South Pacific that can compare to Maine seafood. It was in my dreams every night before we left. What made it worse was I have some veteran friends/clients who are fishermen that know how much I love that stuff. So, they send me tease messages making me aware they have these things fresh and saved for Julie and I. These are the incentives we need to pay attention to our itineraries and not miss the plane. We have a freezer full of these tasty treats now. Also, to make things worse, Hannaford has just put lobster on sale for $7.99 a pound. That is cheaper than steak, who can resist? Not me, that’s for sure.

I also had some excellent news in regards to several Veterans VA cases that I wrote just before I left. (100 percent) unfortunately I had some that didn’t turn out as well but that can be expected. We’ll jump right on those and try to make them right. If you happen to be one who had a V.S.O. submit a case for you and it didn’t turn out well, don’t be discouraged. It’s just the beginning of several steps. More fail the first time than don’t. It’s imperative that you follow up with your Primary Care Provider (PCP).

Much of the time if you are just beginning you probably haven’t built up much of a history. Your PCP must know your in-service record. This is very important in “case creation”. Your in-service medical records are very important as well. These not only give your medical situations but aid your PCP in your treatment plan, which is most important to your future health. It also gives the doctor a benchmark in which to build your pathway to service connection as well as the benchmarks for future treatment.

When you have medical issues the connection can be related to your military issues and thus connection for compensation as well. Just remember your defense is your service connection. If you have it you will not fail. If it is not readily visible you must pursue it in different ways. Witnesses to in-service events are acceptable and even those who knew you, prior military, can be very helpful to help show that your medical problems most likely were the result of your military service. Leave no stone unturned. All information from different sources can be of value. Your Veteran Service Officer (V.S.O.) can guide you on this path.

We often send for veteran’s medical records and either receive no reply or someone will tell us they may have burned in a records fire. I have been doing these cases for 47 years and find this to be only possibly true. I have had many veterans, who never received their records upon our request, however, when we filed, VA was able to pull them up and make a decision. That on its face is wrong but it does happen. Just stick with your V.S.O. and keep your case going. Positive results can occur. If you just drop it and walk away, you lose. You need to be persistent and speak again with your V.S.O.

He/she will lead you down the correct path. Eventually you should succeed with your claim. When you know you’re right, don’t back down. You have too much at stake. Just continue to keep doctor’s appointments and follow the instructions of your V.S.O. Eventually you will be successful.

Next week we’ll begin answering your questions and helping you with the development of your case forward. You served your country, now it’s time for your country to serve you. Stay strong and push forward. God bless you and thank you for your service.

Oakland Memorial Day parade and ceremony go on despite rain (2024)

The weather did not hamper crowd enthusiasm. (photo by Wally McKenney)

by Mark Huard

For the past three years since the pandemic, the Oakland American Legion Post #51 has directed the Annual Memorial Day parade which is one of the largest in Central Maine. Veterans lined the front of the parade to local school bands, classic cars, military vehicles, Police and Fire departments, Shriners and among many others. Each year they are looking for more to participate. Any groups are encouraged to contact the post for next year’s attendance.

The Kora Drifters are a parade unit of the Kora Shrine, in Lewiston. The Drifters were started by Bernie Fortin, of Vassalboro, in 2018, and have since expanded to 14 members. They raise funds for the Shriners hospitals, in Massachusetts, and all money raised goes to those charities. Any other expenses they pay out-of-pocket. They are known for their distinctive bright green colors and love to entertain. The Shriners are currently scheduled to parade in 27 different events this year, to include Maine’s largest festivals such as the Clam Festival, the Moxie Festival, and the Lobster Festival. Really what you have is 14 guys dedicated to supporting child patients at the hospitals. With the added bonus of making people happy at the same time. On Memorial Day they participated in parades in Oakland, Skowhegan, and Old Orchard Beach.

Tracey Frost riding in the Memorial Day Parade. (photo by Galen Neal, Central Maine Photography)

KWD lake levels info now online

The China Lake Association has posted about monitoring China Lake levels, with historical levels, on Facebook: Kennebec Water District (KWD) recently added a China Lake water level information page to their website. You will find the current level of the lake, along with the most recent Department of Environmental Protection lake level directives.

The link is: https://kennebecwater.org/water-quality/lake-level-info/.

Skowhegan volunteer receives Commitment to Excellence pin from Girl Scouts of Maine

Victoria Noyes

Victoria Noyes, a dedicated volunteer from Skowhegan for the Girl Scouts of Maine (GSME) within the Somerset Service Unit, recently received the Commitment to Excellence Pin for her above-and-beyond service and support of the organization this year. The Commit­ment to Excellence Pin is awarded to a volunteer who has received a board-level award and continues to serve above and beyond expectation at that scope of service.

As a recipient of the Appreciation Pin during 2023, Noyes continues to serve Maine Girl Scouts by providing above-and-beyond support to members of more than one troop. For the past several years, she has taken on the role of Somerset Service Unit Manager.
Noyes’ sense of volunteerism for Girl Scouts is echoed through vast outstanding achievements. In addition to her service unit position, Noyes has also been an active leader for several troops to help them get started or fill in as a co-pilot.

Noyes lives by the Girl Scout Promise and Law, always leading by example and digging in to take on new responsibilities when necessary.

“There are no people more generous with their time, talent, and investment in growth than Girl Scout adults who go just that bit further, share just that bit more, to make the world a better place,” says GSME Director of Adult Learning, Dawn Walker-Elders.

Noyes’ Commitment to Excellence Award was honored alongside other adult recognitions at this year’s annual celebration held on May 11, in Fairfield.